St. Michaels 1-08 1-04 Trim
Friday February 7th 2020
Corn na Boinne in Carlanstown
Corn na Boinne Round 3


Friday February 7th 2020
Corn na Boinne, Group C, Round 3

Full time: St. Michaels 1-08, Trim 1-04.
Half time: St. Michaels 0-03, Trim 1-03.

St. Michaels continued on their winning start to the season with a four point victory over Trim in this third round of the Corn na Boinne Cup in Carlanstown on Friday night last.
Trim had first use of the very strong wind blowing towards the scoreboard end and they soon opened up a two point lead after only four minutes play. Shane McDonnell opened the home sides account with a point from play on 7 minutes which was immediately cancelled out by the Trim side. The visitors then went 5 points to the good when they found the back of the net after their initial attempt was well blocked by Shane McCormack between the St. Michaels posts at the end of the opening quarter.

Man of the match Oran Meehan raised his first white flag soon after and Ronan Lynch also got in on the act with a peach of a point from play after receiving from the hard working Sam Briody.
That completed the first half scoring for the home side who were making minimal progress into the strong wind. The fact that Trim failed to score in the second quarter with the backing of the wind was surely a huge source of disappointment for their mentors as they went in at the break leading by 1-03 to 0-03.

Shane McDonnell opened the second half with a converted free following a foul on the lively Ray Reilly. Shane McCormack pulled off another magnificent save with his lower body a couple of minutes later to deny Trim a five point advantage and although the visitors had plenty of opportunities to score they sent them wide of the target and their only score of the half came from a free in the fourth minute of injury time.

But credit must go to the St. Michaels defence who battened down the hatches keeping their composure for the entire second half making life difficult for their opponents and the discipline they showed in defence was vital as it would have been easy in the conditions to give away scoreable frees with lazy tackles.

The remainder of the half was all about Oran Meehan, Trim switched his marker on several occasions and his team mates badly needed his expertise in front of the posts and boy did he answer their call, two points in as many minutes off his left peg had the teams on level terms. Ten minutes slipped by before he split the posts to put his side in front for the first time in the match. Then came the game changer when he collected the ball 30m out, went on a solo run towards goal, took aim and fired from 10m, his shot skimming the ground as it headed to the back of the Trim net for a 1-7 to 1-3 lead.

To cap a fine nights work Meehan split the posts with a fine effort from play to the cheers of the local patrons who braved the elements to support their team.

Trim, who gave it their all and who battled the elements and a resurgent St. Michaels side finally got their only score of the second period from a free in the 64th minute.

St. Michaels team & scorers:
Shane McCormack; Ciaran O’Reilly, Mark Stafford, Alan Reilly; Christopher Drew, Ronan Lynch (0-1), Sam Briody; Cian Sheridan, Paddy Clarke; Ray Reilly, Shane McDonnell (0-2), Ben Reilly; Patrick Tobin, Oran Meehan (1-5), Justin McPhillips. 

Subs: Harry Dunne for B. Reilly 21 minutes, Lee Morris for Tobin 38 minutes, Brian Reilly for McPhillips 49 minutes.
Referee: Peter O’Halloran.
Report by: Pascal Reilly PRO.