By kind permission of Conall Collier, Sports Editor of The Meath Chronicle.


MARCH 31st 1979:

The large attendance at the annual meeting of Carlanstown GFC heard secretary Martin Stafford state in his report that 1978 had been the club’s best year since their last championship triumph back in 1945.
He remarked that the players, selectors and all concerned displayed great interest and determination to win the first ever division 3 championship last year when organization was at a very high level.
Stafford also praised the players on reaching last year’s Spring league final which was only lost “at the table”.
The chairman Paddy O’Reilly congratulated the club on a historic year with another chapter in the history of the club coming when they were given the option of buying their own playing pitch from the Irish Land Commission.
O’Reilly thanked Eugene Briody for putting a field at the club’s disposal over the years and the Smith family for the dressing rooms.
Officers elected were: Chairman: Paddy O’Reilly, Vice chairman: Henry Curran, Secretary: Martin Stafford, Assistant secretary: Robbie O’Connell, Joint Treasurer’s: Paddy O’Connell & Paddy Farrelly, Selectors: Paddy O’Connell, Tommy Gaffney and John Carpenter, Trainer: Eugene McDonnell, Captain: Justin Stafford, Vice captain: Robbie O’Connell, PRO: Helen McGee, County Board delegates: Paddy O’Reilly and Danny Reilly, President: Eugene Briody.
At the club’s annual dinner dance in Bailieboro, Jimmy Tully T,D. Presented the division 3 championship medals and also a football on behalf of himself and his wife. He congratulated the team on their success and hoped it would be the first of many triumphs.
The following players received medals:
Sean Briody, Michael Vaughan, Pat O’Connell, James Murphy, Jackie Lynch, Michael Reilly, Robert O’Connell, Jimmy Farrelly, Justin Stafford, Barney Gaffney, Christy Regan, Danny Reilly, Gerry McMahon, Gerry Stafford, Jimmy Rafferty, John Reilly, Paddy O’Reilly, Conlath O’Brien, C. Farrelly, D. Carolan, Martin O’Connell, E. O’Donnell, Joe Carolan, Thomas Murphy, Jimmy Gaffney, Martin Stafford, Eugene Farrelly and Hughie Madden.
AUGUST 4th 1979:
A strong Carlanstown team proved too good for Bective in the final of the Jimmy Sherry Memorial Cup at Fyanstown. The winners led by 1-4 to 0-1 at the interval. Bective fought back in the second half and scored two great goals, but Carlanstown rallied to run out convincing winners.
After the game Mrs Sherry presented the cup to the Carlanstown captain Justin Stafford, and Michael Farrell chairman of Fyanstown GFC praised both teams for their sporting performances.
AUGUST 4th 1979
Carlanstown 3-4, Bective 2-1.
A strong Carlanstown team proved too good for Bective in the final of the Jimmy Sherry Memorial Cup at Fyanstown. The winners led by 1-4 to 0-1 at the interval. Bective fought back in the second half and scored two great goals, but Carlanstown rallied to run out convincing winners. After the game Mrs. Sherry presented the cup to the Carlanstown captain, Justin Stafford and Michael Farrell, chairman of Fyanstown G.F.C, praised both teams for their sporting performances.

AUGUST 20th 1977.

When the bigger and stronger Cortown side had led by 0-4 to 0-3 at half time in this division 2 football championship quarter-final at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday, having kicked five wides to Carlanstown’s one, and having played against the erratic wind, it was odds on that they would triumph.
The odds were borne out for, with the exception of Carlanstown’s 1-1, it was more or less one-way traffic in the second half. This victory was fashioned from the superiority of midfielders Mattie Coyne and Kevin Casserly as, hard though they tried, Robert O’Connell and Jimmy Farrelly were unable to gain the upper hand here. Whenever Carlanstown managed to mount attacks, Tom Caffrey and Frank Flanagan repulsed many of them, while in attack, Kevin Casserly, John Hogan and John Casserly punished their opponents defensive weaknesses. The younger Carlanstown side can take heart from having advanced this far in the competition and should show the benefits in next year’s campaign. However, no blame for this defeat can be levelled against defenders Jack Lynch, Justin Stafford, Gerry McMahon or goalie Sean Briody despite the shot that beat him. In an attack which was starved of useful possession, Gerry Stafford, Robert O’Connell and Martin Stafford looked most dangerous. However, the loss of midfielder Robert O’Connell in the first half proved too much of a handicap. Scorers:
Cortown — K. Casserly (1-1), J. Henry, J. Hogan (0-3 each), T. Caffrey, J. Casserly, F. McFadden (0-1 each).
Carlanstown — G. Stafford (1-0), R. O’Connell, N. Gaffney, P. Keaveney, M. Stafford (0-1 each)
Cortown— D. Brady; J. Loughran, T. Caffrey, F. Flanagan; J. Casserly, T. Loughran, M. Rourke; M. Coyne, K. Casserly; J. Hogan, F. McFadden, P. O’Brien; P. Dillon, J. Henry C. Sheridan.
Carlanstown—  S. Briody; J. Lynch, P. O’Connell, J. Stafford; J. Murphy, B. Gaffney G. McMahon; R. O’Connell, J. Farrelly; J. Carolan, P. Keaveney, N. Keaveney; G. Stafford, H. Madden, P. Reilly. Sub. — M. Stafford for R. O’Connell.
Referee — Mr. R. Barry, Walterstown.
APRIL 14th 1973

A number of bad-tempered incidents after the match resulting from the disallowing of a last-minute Carlanstown goal marred an otherwise enjoyable afternoon’s football at Navan on Sunday, when St. Johns made a bright start to their division 2 championship campaign by defeating Carlanstown by 1-6 to 2-2. The incident which caused the controversy occurred moments before the final whistle when Carlanstown’s ever dangerous full-forward, Pat Reilly, connected first time with a right-wing cross, leaving the St. John’s ‘keeper helpless with a powerfully punched effort. The umpires had no hesitation in signalling the “score” disallowed, a decision which the referee rightly affirmed, in this writer’s view, as the Carlanstown player was “lodging” in the square for some time before the ball was centred.
The match itself, played under Arctic conditions, produced patches of good football despite a tricky wind which made controlled football difficult. St. Johns just about deserved their victory. Their defence played soundly throughout, particularly in the final minutes when Carlanstown threw everything into attack. Midfielders Pat Reynolds and Tom Dooner won a fair amount of possession, but the attack, despite some good individual performances, never functioned as a unit.

St. Johns opened on a strong note, taking an early grip on the midfield exchanges. Their attack, ably led by Tony Cauley, had built up a two point advantage after ten minutes in spite of some glaring misses. Carlanstown gradually found their rhythm and full-forward Pat Reilly dramatically transformed the trend of the game by booting over the bar in the 11th minute and crashing home a great goal five minutes later. Carlanstown moved with real menace after this, but with more accuracy up front could have notched two further goals before Noel McBride reduced the deficit just before the interval.
St. Johns equalised through a Pat Reynolds point three minutes into the second moiety, but Carlanstown once again forged ahead with a Brendan Fitzpatrick goal in the 10th minute. Tony Cauley cut their lead with a point shortly afterwards. Half way through the second period St. Johns got the all important score when Liam McMahon floated over a beautiful centre which Bernard McBride fisted firmly past the Carlanstown goalkeeper.
Both sides swa
pped minors in a thrilling finish but Carlanstown could not break through a determined St. John’s defence for the equaliser.
The outstanding player afield, in this writer’s opinion, was the winners’ young left half-back, Oliver Blaney, who turned in a brilliant defensive display and still found time to surge up-field, putting his forwards in possession with pinpoint deliveries. He was well supported by Noel Geraghty and Jim Bellew, Pat Reynolds was in superb form at midfield, while Tom Dooner also got through a tremendous amount of work. Liam McMahon, Tony Cauley and Bernard McBride were always dangerous in an attack which lacked fluency. In a well organized Carlanstown defence full-back Joe Flanagan and centre-half Bennie Hand were rock solid. Mid-fielders Barney Gaffney and Noel Keaveny could not be blamed for defeat, but only Pat Reilly and Henry Dodderel shone in a forward line which often threatened danger but lacked thrust.
B. McBride (1-0), T. Cauley (0-3), N. McBride, P. Reynold s and J. Hubble (0-1 each) registered for the winners, while P. Reilly (1-1), B. Fitzpatrick (1-0) and P. McEnteggart (0-1) were on target for Carlanstown.
AUGUST 26th 1972
The refusal of the chairman ( Mr. Colm Cromwell ) to consider an appeal from Carlanstown FC against their expulsion from the juvenile football championship by the juvenile Board for failing to fulfil an engagement with Ballinlough at Kells led to a walk-out by the Carlanstown delegates at a meeting of Meath Co. Board.
Carlanstown claimed that they had received no notification about the fixture.
Mr. Cromwell said the appeal seemed to be a case of a club accusing one of their subsidiary boards of doing something wrong. “The appeal is signed by Thomas Clinton (Runai),” he continued. “This is contravening rule 9 of the Official Guide which states that all documents not signed in Irish must be ruled out of order. I don’t know the facts of the case. Carlanstown may have a grievance but they “should put their own house in order first.” Mr. Clinton said that nobody in Carlanstown had received notice of the match. “We are being thrown out by red tape,” he added.
Mr. Cromwell said he had great respect for the Juvenile Board. “It is elementary that every signature in the G.A.A. must be in Irish,” he concluded.
Mr. M. O’Brien (secretary, Juvenile Board) claimed that Carlanstown had received adequate notice of the fixture through a Mr. Eugene Briody.
It was agreed to refund the £2 appeal fee, but the Carlanstown delegates refused to take the money and walked out of the meeting.

SEPTEMBER 9th 1972
The Editor. Dear Sir— I would be grateful for space in your newspaper to comment on the ruling of Mr. C. Cromwell at Meath County Board G.A.A. meeting when he refused to consider an appeal from Carlanstown F.C. against their expulsion from the juvenile football championship. He, is reported in the “Meath Chronicle” as having said that he was not aware of the facts. It is amazing that one who does not know the facts is still prepared to sit in judgement and pass sentence!

The facts are as follows: For every game in the championship (up to the game Carlanstown v. Ballinlough) notice of the fixture was sent by Mr. M. O’Brien to me. For the game fixed for Kells he decided to send notice of the fixture to Mr. Eugene Briody, a man who has left the country for the last three or four months and at present believed to be in Germany. Consequently we were not aware in Carlanstown that the fixture had been made.
Now in fairness I must say that we in Carlanstown were not entirely blameless. We were at fault in that we had not our team registered. I personally am to blame for that— I forgot to post the list. But we were not expelled from the championship for that slip-up. Had we been expelled for that I would say “fair enough” and would not now be writing this letter. But my fifteen young boys were deprived of the chance to play a game of football because Mr. T. Clinton did not sign his name in Irish.
Mr. Cromwell is reported as saying that it is an elementary rule in the GAA that every signature in the GAA must be in Irish. I say it is a bit of an elementary bunker. Insisting on people signing their name in Irish is a bit of elementary hypocrisy that the GAA might well consider dropping from their rule book.
In passing I might add that the said Mr. Clinton is at present in Munich for the Olympic Games ( we’re all for sport in Carlanstown! ). No doubt when he returns he will be singing his name in German.
Lest the “fior-Gaels” not this note of what I have written, I hasten to sign my name in Irish.
Le mor mheas,
Carlanstown, Kells

AUGUST 7th 1965
In an earnest tussle featured by hard tackling which blotted out the spectacular completely throughout, Kilmainhamwood beat Carlanstown by 2-3 to 0-5 in the intermediate football championship at Kells on Sunday.
Marking was so close that there was little scope for open play and the standard of football which suffered as a consequence could hardly be rated high. Carlanstown were leading by a point with five minutes left for play when Kilmainhamwood were awarded a penalty which resulted in a goal to change the whole trend of events. A further goal three minutes later put the ultimate winners in an unassailable position, though the Kilbeg parish men fought back strongly to reduce their arrears by a point almost on time. Defenders at each end were on top for most of the way and both sides had the same tally from play, half time score—Kilmainhamwood 1-1: Carlanstown 0-4.


The “Wood” were goal-hungry throughout and the marksmanship of their forwards was not impressive. They had fifteen wides for the hour to the losers four and should thank their lucky stars that the penalty goal came when it did against a Carlanstown side who displayed remarkable enthusiasm in their efforts. The Kilbeg parish men’s “no nonsense” approach to the job on hand upset considerably the strategy of their more polished opponents who nevertheless displayed clever and convincing team-work and finished on a somewhat stronger note. Carlanstown were on top at midfield for long spells, but their attack was unable to out manoeuvre a business-like opposing defence who conceded very little at any time. Though there were patches of good football, bunching of players begot much scrappy play in which science was completely swamped by brawn and muscle. Both sides were short a couple of their regulars, though capable substitutes lessened the handicap considerably.
Kilmainhamwood deserved the honours in a gruelling hour and must be reckoned as a strong force in the battle for championship honours. Their forwards, however, must step up on their marksmanship against the stronger opposition ahead.
Carlanstown, who went close to upsetting the form-book, are to be congratulated on a display which lived up to a splendid tradition for wholehearted endeavour. In a capable “Wood” defence P. Carolan. M. Clarke and J. Carolan stood out. J. Monaghan and P. Keogh had their moments at midfield and John Cassidy. J. Gaynor and J. Cassidy were the pick of the forwards.

O’Brien starred in a Carlanstown defence in which J. Murphy and J. Murtagh were well to the fore. H. Briody and L. Carpenter were proficient midfielders and P. Keaveny, T. O’Brien and T. Farrelly, until he retired injured, were prominent in attack.

The scores by the minute:- (K): J. Gaynor (0-1) free 3rd; (C): T. Clinton (0-1) 10th, (C): P. Farrelly (0-1) 14th,
(C) P. Keaveny (0-1) 5th, (K): J. Kavanagh (0-1) free. 12th; (C): P. Keaveny (0-1) 14th; (K): P. Keogh (0-1), 22nd: (K): J. Cassidy (1-0) penalty 25th; (K): J. Gaynor (1-0) 28th; (C): T. O’Brien (0-1) 29th.
Half-time: Carlanstown 0-5: Kilmainhamwood 2-3.
P. Gilsenan; T. Finnegan, G. Carolan, M. Clarke: J. Farrelly, J. Carolan, R. Gogarty; J. Monaghan, P. Keogh; J. Rafferty, J. Cassidy, P. McKeever; M. Clarke, John Cassidy. J. Gaynor. Sub.—S. Gibney for Rafferty.
M. Hand: R. Downey, J. Murtagh, J. Murphy: J. Thompson, P. O’Brien, E. Thompson: H. Briody, J. Carpenter: P. Keaveny. T. O’Brien, J. Downey; T. Clinton, B. Hand. P. Farrelly. Sub—S. Keaveny for Farrelly.
Mr. E. Kane (Commons, Navan) refereed.
OCTOBER 24th 1964

Despite having three penalties awarded against them, Enfield qualified for the decider of the junior football “A” championship by defeating (5-2 to 1-2) a ragged Carlanstown fifteen in the semi-final of the competition at Pairc Tailteann, Navan, on Sunday.
As will be noted from the Carlanstown total they failed miserably to take advantage of their penalties, two of them being sent wide. The kicks were taken when Enfield’s lead was in the region of only six points, and had the losers succeeded in converting the efforts Enfield’s victory would be a much closer and harder fought one.
If Enfield had been beaten however, it would have been a travesty of justice as they were the more polished combination and their winning margin did not flatter them, although two of their majors came late in the hour when Carlanstown had lost hope of springing a surprise. Right through the field, the eventual winners were masters, having the measure of their opponents in all sectors. With Tony Brennan dominating in the middle of the pitch and Mick Flynn proving a most dangerous full-forward, they were always in command. They were fortunate that Carlanstown did not make full use of their penalty awards which could have made Enfield become disorganized. After the three shots however, they re-exerted their dominance and at the end rammed home a brace of goals which put the issue beyond all doubt.


Any hope Carlanstown had of victory disappeared with these two penalty misses and more wild shooting in the second half. If they had scored, then they could have made a serious comeback but their lapses from the fourteen-yards line depressed and further disorganized their ranks. Tony Brennan, Meath senior and junior inter-county star, was easily the outstanding performer of the thirty odd players. He ruled the roost for long periods at midfield and his long and skillful solo runs were real thorns in the Carlanstown backside. In defence Ollie Greville was very much to the fore, clearing his lines many times. Joe Doran played soundly at full-back with P. McMahon prominent at centre half-back. M. Flynn was easily the pick of the attack, his bustling tactics proving very fruitful. He scored two goals and “made” at least another one. The left-wing partnership of B. Davy and M. Prendergast also had the beating of their opponents. N. Kenny was another to do well.
Matt Hand did much good work for Carlanstown in the full-back line, getting most support from Benny Hand and P. Curran. Paddy McMahon and Harry Briody never stopped trying at midfield, with Briody the more prominent of the two. In attack Peter and Tom O’Brien and Paddy Clarke, when he made his appearance in the second half, were best.

Mick Flynn had Enfield’s first score in the fourth minute—a goal and six minutes later Prendergast finished to the same net. Noel Kenny added a goal and a minor to leave Enfield sitting pretty. The only reply from Carlanstown was a point from Tom O’Brien in the fifteenth minute. The interval tally was: Enfield, 3-1; Carlanstown, 0-1.
Carlanstown came out fighting at the start of the second half but shot wide from a penalty. Five minutes later Clarke took another such kick and finished to the net. Four minutes later came the third spot-kick which was sent wide. The losers missed further chances before Joe Carpenter put a great effort just over the bar. However they had shot their bolt and Enfield took command once more. Ollie Greville had a magnificent point for the winners from a long distance free. Noel Kenny registered a goal and just on full-time, Prendergast punched his side’s fifth major to leave the result;
Enfield, 5-2: Carlanstown, 1-2.
G. Deehan: O. Greville. J. Doran. M. O’Neill; C. Loughlin, P. McMahon. L. Kenny; D. Doran, T. Brennan; P. Foran, N. Kenny, B. Davy: S. Foran. M. Flynn, M. Prendergast.
Carlanstown— J. Carpenter: J. Murphy. P. Curran, M. Hand; J. Thompson . B. Hand. E. Thompson: P. McMahon, H. Briody: P. Keaveney. P. O’Brien, T. O’Brien; T. Clinton. D. Downey. Joe Carpenter. Substitute: J. Clarke.
Mr. P. McLoughlin (Dunshaughlin) refereed.
MAY 11th 1963

Garda Sergeant Gerry McArdle “arrested” Carlanstown’s chances of victory at Kells Park on Sunday when his team—Drumconrath—beat the north Meath side by 2-7 to 1-6 in the junior football “A” championship, he was the dominant figure for the hour and was extremely difficult to stop and scored 1-5 of his team’s tally. Truly, Drumconrath’s victory was a personal triumph for him. In the same breath, so to speak, it should be indicated that five brothers played their part in Drumconrath’s victory. They were the sons of old Gael, Jimmy Callan.
In one sense, Drumconrath’s win was unexpected. Carlanstown started off as if they were going to show the opposition the way to go home. They looked the cleverer and more polished side, but it was a case of fettering only to deceive. Rather ironically, it was a switch (see “My Royal Meath Album”) that put Drumconrath on the road to victory. Gerry McArdle was switched from full-forward to the “40” and he proceeded to drive nail after nail in Carlanstown’s coffin. His strong bursts played havoc with the efficiency of the Carlanstown defence.
The ultimate losers laboured under two severe handicaps. First, they had quite a number of young and inexperienced players in action. Secondly, they were up against an unusually heavy and .big side. The longer the game went on the greater the toll that was taken of Carlanstown’s stamina. It is very doubtful if they were a fully fit team taking the field.
To a neutral observer there is a question mark after Sunday’s victors.
It is an invaluable asset to have a star of Gerry McArdle’s magnitude, but almost depending on one player for victory is, if a mixed metaphor will be forgiven, a horse of another colour. Nevertheless, there are possibilities about this “Drums” side. They have plenty of weight, a fair lot of dash, several good fielders, a number of solid workers and plenty of tenacity of purpose. They will not be easily overcome.
Carlanstown, forced to give away a lot of weight, adopted poor tactics indeed. They did a lot of “bunching” which, of course, played right into the hands of the opposition.
A freak feature of this game was that the nearest approach I have yet seen to Frankie Byrne (writes our Kells reporter) was almost starved of the ball. I refer to the losers left half-forward, Paddy Clarke. Although he is on the small side, Clarke is a very elusive and stylish player, with the lively feet of a ballet dancer and a body swerve that is a delight to watch. He has good powers of acceleration, can turn on a saucer, as it were, and is a judicious kicker. He will probably not amount to much as a scorer, but he has so many other assets that this one will hardly be missed. On Sunday he had to forage for the ball most of the time. What a waste of talent !
Compared with the curtain raiser (Moynalty v St. Brigids) this was a classic exhibition of football. In its own right it was an interesting and enjoyable game, with plenty of vigour and action, and fought out grimly in a good sporting spirit. Carlanstown made the opposition fight every inch of the way and never stopped trying.
Benny Hand and J. Murtagh captured midfield for Carlanstown in the early stages, but in the second half the spoils went to Drumconrath’s Noel Callan and M. Clarke who gave their forwards an excellent service of the ball. Kevin Callan, P. Callan, Nickey Callan and Johnny Crawley, in addition to those already named shone for the winners who made a number of shrewd switches. An impressive display of cool, skilled, natty, polished and intelligent defensive play was given by the losers R. Downey. Others to do well for Carlanstown were P. Curran, Jack Murphy. J. Thompson. Tom O’Brien and Sean Munroe (who came on as a substitute shortly after the start of the game).
McArdle got his first score—a point—in less than a minute. Joe Carpenter put Carlanstown on level terms. Clarke made an opening for Murtagh who obliged with a point. Art O’Connell added another from a free. Gerry McArdle raised the white flag for Drumconrath and tacked on another from a free. After “Drums” had had two “fifties,” Frank McMahon scored a minor for them. Half-time score: Drumconrath, 0-4; Carlanstown, 0-3.
Drumconrath resumed with J. Brady for T. Byrne. Clarke dodged several tackles before setting off on a solo run and then parting to Munroe who scored a great minor. Carlanstown’s goalie, John Carpenter made a splendid save from Jackie Crawley. At the other end the Drumconrath goalie blundered badly in letting Tom O’Brien’s shot enter the net. Not long afterwards, however, a long ball from Kevin Callan was snapped up by his brother John, whose magnificent
centre Gerry McArdle slammed into the net. He added a minor from a free. Gerry and Art O’Connell exchanged points from frees before Johnny Crawley scored a smashing goal with a sizzling drive. John Callan raised the white flag stylishly before “Drums” had a goal disallowed. Tom O’Brien registered a point for Carlanstown to leave the final score:
Drumconrath 2-7; Carlanstown 1-6.
M. McConnell; K. Callan. P. Callan. J. Callan; P. Ward, M. Crosby. P. Dalton; Noel Callan, M. Clarke; Nickey Callan, F. McGahon, J. Crawley; J. McGahon, G. McArdle, T. Byrne.
Carlanstown— J. Carpenter; R. Downey, P. Curran, P. Carpenter; J. Thompson, J. Murphy, E. Thompson; J. Murtagh. B. Hand; A. O’Connell. P. O’Brien, P. Clarke: T. Clinton. Joe Carpenter, J. Cassidy.
Mr. N. Bowyns (Walterstown) refereed.
JUNE 23rd 1963
The eagerly awaited clash between Carlanstown and Moynalty at Kells on Sunday in the Junior football “A” championship produced a virile struggle and ended in victory for Carlanstown by a margin of two points (0-8 to 0-6). While the exchanges may not have reached a very high standard, there was action in plenty and the spectators got good value

Perhaps the decisive factor in the game was the most effective mariner in which the Carlanstown defence “policed” Moynalty’s danger man, Paddy Govern. Paddy got so little rope that the attack as a whole, which depends so much on him, failed to click.
As the score suggests, there was very little between the sides, yet Carlanstown deserved to win, if for no other reason than that they beat a fitter team than themselves. This factor underscores the importance of the tactic of bottling up Paddy Govern. Moynalty got plenty of opportunities of taking the lead, but their attack failed to press home their advantages and the switching that took place failed to produce the desired effect.
In so far as one man can be said to be responsible for victory that man on Sunday was the winners centre half-back, Benny Hand, who broke up numerous Moynalty attacks on his own. Benny was in brilliant form. He was excellent in the air, his tackling was devastating, and his timing was almost immaculate.
Both goals had very narrow escapes, but Moynalty must have heaved a sigh of relief when a CarIanstown forward got possession straight in front of the posts and with nobody to beat but the goalie, blasted the ball over the bar.
Carlanstown, who were short two of their regulars, will have to do something about their attack which was far from impressive. The fact that the forwards had a total of 13 wides speaks for itself. Apart from their shooting, however, the attackers overplayed the ball. Whenever they exploited the open spaces they were very dangerous, and several of their scores were the outcome of grand raids down the left wing. Left half-forward Tom O’Brien had his best game for quite a while. He was a daring and elusive raider and was extremely difficult to stop. R. Downey, right full-back, turned in yet another powerful display which marked him out as a defender well above the average. Playing full-back, Paddy Curran at midfield was a shrewd move by the Carlanstown mentors. The burly ex-full worked tremendously hard throughout and may have saved the day for his side in the dying seconds of the hour when he flung himself at a Paddy Govern shot at goal. Others to do well for the winners were E. Thompson, M. Hand and Paddy Keaveney.
Moynalty might have won this match if Paddy Govern had had his shooting boots on in the first half. Normally a deadly accurate free-taker. Paddy missed several “sitters.” However, he was a great trier in play and he took watching all the time. .

It is difficult to pin-point the cause of the Reds defeat, for of course, the cancelling of Govern should not of itself have kept Moynalty from victory. They should have been able to convert their superior fitness into a winning scoring margin. Moynalty had long spells of pressure, but the lack of “punch” in attack proved fatal. Best for the losers were Jim Lynch, P. Cahill, T. Gilsenan, P. Govern arid Mark Clinton.
Paddy Govern opened Moynalty’s account with a point from a free in the eighth minute. Immediately afterwards a solo run by P. Curran brought play to the other end and Joe Carpenter shot the equaliser. The ball was crashed against an upright in a fierce Carlanstown onslaught. Murtagh gave Carlanstown the lead. Paddy Govern burst through a couple of tackles and sent to J. Lynch who pointed.
Half-time score: Carlanstown, 0-2; Moynalty, 0-2.
M. Lynch gave Moynalty the lead again, but Art O’Connell nullified with a point from a free. Tom O’Brien added a grand score on the run. Murtagh stretched Carlanstown’s advantage. Paddy Govern had a minor from a free. Tom O’Brien registered another clever point for Carlanstown and O’Connell raised the white flag from a free. Paddy Keaveney was prominent in a hectic Carlanstown raid and he shot a point. Paddy Govern had another Moynalty minor from a free. John Carpenter brought off a great save in the Carlanstown goal. Paddy Govern ended the scoring with a point from a free.
Result;—Carlanstown, 0-8; Moynalty 0-6.

John Carpenter; R. Downey, M. Hand, E. Thompson; J. Thompson, B. Hand, A. O’Connell; J. Murtagh, P. Curran; S. Munroe, Joe Carpenter, T. O’Brien; P. Keaveney, J. Murphy, P. McMahon.
MoynaltyP. Lynch; M. Farrelly. P. Cahill, P. Cussen; F. Reilly. Jim Lynch, J. McEvoy; O.Govern, T, Gilsenan; M. McHugh, M. Clinton, M. Gargan; P. Farrelly, P. Govern. M. Lynch.
Subs. Jim Clarke for P. Farrelly; Paddy Reilly for P. Cussen; J. Lynch for M. McHugh.
Mr. Peter Kellett (Kells) refereed.

AUGUST 10th 1963
Carlanstown (2-3) had their winning goal against Killallon (1-5) in the final minutes of a hard-fought junior football “A” championship game at Kells on Sunday.
The Kilbeg parish men were often seen to greater advantage. This was a game in which they fumbled a great deal and were as near as they could be to defeat by an enthusiastic and lively Killallon side who never stopped trying and were in their opponents’ territory at the end. Though bunching of players led to a great deal of football of the spoiling variety, there were periods of play which were both enjoyable and of a good standard. Carlanstown threw away many scoring chances and their forwards inability to part quickly with the ball dimmed their hopes of raising, flags on a number of occasions. They concentrated on securing goals when points looked the sounder proposition, and if their late major score, which meant victory at the end, recompensed them adequately for their efforts, reflection must continue to remind them that it was hardly wise to pursue a tactical line more unlikely than not to bring the sought-for results.

Killallon, who continue to improve on every outing, had also their share of misses and could claim to have been at least worth a draw. They were always in the hunt with a chance and their attack stepped up considerably on recent outings. In the final analysis it was the experience of their opponents which swayed the issue in a ding-dong encounter wide open to the final whistle. Big man in the Kilbeg parish men’s win was J. Thompson who played a blinder in the right half-back position. It was Killallon’s strong side and they must have made greater profit from their dominance had not Thompson’s efforts foiled many of their well-conducted raids. Benny Hand also did Herculean work and another defender who had his moments was Richard Downey. Harry Briody worked like a Trojan at midfield and was going strong when a lot of his team-mates had enough. He used his great strength to every advantage and with Hand, played a prominent role in the movements which brought his side’s winning goal. Tom Brien was also well in the picture and Sean Munroe did enough in attack to merit special mention. Others to come under the eye were John Carpenter in goal and Joe Carpenter at midfield. B. Gilligan kept a good goal for the losers who had outstanding defenders in J. Fagan. P. Geraghty and Jim Smith. John Fagan and E. McGuinness were unsparing midfield workers and T. Geraghty, T. and C. Clinton sparkled on a lively attack.

Killallon had a point by T. Clinton in the third minute which was negatived by Sean Munroe from a free six minutes later. In strong exchanges, Killallon had another minor in the 11th minute and there were wides at both ends before Sean Munroe tacked on a further point for Carlanstown three minutes later. C. Clinch increased Killallon’s tally with a white flag in the 19th minute, and there was no further scoring for eight minutes when P. Kearney placed Tom O’Brien for a goal for Carlanstown. Killallon hit back for a major by T. Geraghty, after neat work by T. Clinton, to leave the half-time tally:—
Killallon 1-3; Carlanstown 1-2.
There were fruitless raids at both ends until the 13th minute when Killallon had a point by C. Clinton. Carlanstown negatived this score when Sean Munroe sent over the bar from a free five minutes later. With four minutes to play, Killallon increased their lead to two points when C. Clinton again raised a white flag. A strong Carlanstown attack saw Sean Munroe drive a fast shot past the Killallon goalie for the lead, and though the Carlanstown citadel had a close shave almost on time there was no further scoring.
Result:— Carlanstown 2-3; Killallon 1-5.
Carlanstown — John Carpenter; E. Thompson, P. Curran, R. Downey; J. Thompson, B. Hand, J. Murphy; H. Briody, Joe Carpenter; P. Keaveney, P. McMahon, T. O’Brien; S. Munroe, J. Murtagh, P. Carpenter. Subs: T. Clinton for P. Carpenter; T, Carolan for Murphy.
Killallon— B. Gilligan: R. McEllis, P. Geraghty, J. Smith; M. Loughlin, J. Fagan, Jim Smith; John Fagan, E. McGuinness; J. Martin, S. Hetherton, J. Clinton; T. Geraghty, C. Clinton, T. Clinton. Subs.: M. Lynch for Loughlin, J. Smith for J. Clinton.
Mr. P. Maguire (Kells) refereed.
AUGUST 24th 1963
Unpredictable Carlanstown, who a few Sundays ago were put to the pin of their collar to defeat a recently formed Killallon team, beat Moylough by 2-8 to 0-3 in the junior football championship at Kells on Sunday. The winners now qualify for a play-off with Drumconrath for divisional honours
Moylough, who held their own in the opening half, made the fatal mistake of playing their opponents game throughout. They were content to make all their efforts down the centre of the field which found them more often than not playing second fiddle to their more experienced and rugged opponents in a game which found the wings exploited to anything but a worthwhile degree.
When matters started to go-wrong for the Oldcastle parish men they noticeably lost their customary cleverness and enthusiasm. They appeared to be at a loss for an answer to the tearaway tactics of the Kilbeg parish men who got on top early in the second half and were masters of the situation to the end.Tackling was hard a little too much so at times—and there was a glut of spoiling tactics which added nothing to a game which had robustness written all over it.
Carlanstown fully deserved their win. They fielded much better than their opponents, were quicker to the breaking ball, and got every opportunity to exploit their strategy throughout. Moylough did much better than the scores would indicate. They are a young team who play a good brand of football and their team-work is bound to improve with greater experience.

The game had a couple of minor flare-ups, once when a Moylough player retired injured after a late and rather hard tackle and again when umpires disagreed as to allowing scores—something which usually happens when these officials are from each team. This was the third Sunday over a short period that this writer has witnessed such disagreements under the same conditions and while admitting the difficulty of securing neutral umpires at these games—the attendances are usually small—it would be in the best interests of the game if the present procedure was discontinued.
Big men in the Carlanstown victory were Matt and Benny Hand, R. Downey, H. Briody, P. Curran, T. and P. O’Brien and P. Keaveney. In fact, as a team every man fitted in capably.
P. Briody, M. Devine, P. Halpin, J. Farrelly, O. Farrelly, J. Flood and O. Lynch tried hard for the losers.
After fruitless raids at each end Moylough had a point by T. Eglinton in the sixth minute. Carlanstown attacked and were awarded a penalty which was saved, and in hard up and down exchanges P. Curran opened Carlanstown’s tally with a minor from a free in the 17th minute. There were wides at both ends before S. Munroe had another point for Carlanstown from a free seven minutes later and T. O’Brien tacked on another in the ninth minute. Carlanstown were attacking when the half-time whistle blew with the scores reading:—
Carlanstown 0-3; Moylough 0-1.
P. O’Brien had a point for Carlanstown three minutes after resumption and S. Munroe added another from a free in the fifth minute. Carlanstown continued to dictate the exchanges and P. Curran had a further minor from a free four minutes later, followed by a goal by P. O’Brien in the 11th minute. Moylough hit back for a point by H. Gibney a minute later, but Carlanstown quickly returned to the attack and had a goal by Joe Carpenter in the 16th minute. Moylough retaliated for a point by P. Halpin in the 17th minute. The same player added a minor four minutes later and P. O’Brien increased the winners tally by a point before the end, leaving the result:—
Carlanstown 2-8; Moylough 0-3.
J. Carpenter: R. Downey, M. Hand. E. Thompson; J. Murphy, B. Hand, J. Thompson; H. Briody, P. Curran; T. O’Brien, P. McMahon, Joe Carpenter; P. Keaveney. J. Murtagh, S. Munroe. Sub: P. O’Brien for J. Murtagh.
M. Smith; T. Flood, P. Briody, P. Kirk; M. Devine, P. Culligan, J. Farrelly; O. Lynch,. V. Halpin; J. Eglinton, O. Farrelly, P Sheridan; T. Hughes, J. Gibney, K. Tynan. Sub: H. Gibney for P. Sheridan.
Mr. P. Price (Castletown) refereed.
MAY 12th 1962

A brilliant second-half display by the losers full-back, K. Govern, was one of the few worthwhile features of a junior football “A” league game at Kells on Sunday between Carlanstown and Moynalty, Carlanstown emerging victorious by 1-7 to 0-2.
If ever a forward line was flattered by a scoreboard that line was the Carlanstown attack. Their approach work was excellent at times, but their shooting—that was almost too bad to be true. The forwards had twenty two wides for the hour—or at the rate of a wide every three minutes.
This was a most disappointing game. Neither side was really fit and the football was mediocre. Despite some hefty charging the match never came to life.
started off as if they were going to take the honours, but it was a case of flattering only to deceive. A series of switches put Carlanstown on the road to victory and the Reds were rarely in the hunt after that. They did have ten minutes of ascendancy late in the second half, but there was not sufficient punch in the attack to drive home their advantages.The Carlanstown switches brought Benny Hand from the square, where he was “lost” to the right half forward berth, Harry Briody from the “40” to midfield, and P. McMahon from midfield to the attack. Carlanstown had control of midfield for the greater part of the hour, a factor upon which Moynalty’s hopes of victory perished.
Govern‘s full-back performance was in the classic mould. He caught magnificent balls under severe pressure, displayed polish and coolness, revealed excellent judgement and timing and came through with the ball with determination and courage. His second half work was about the best in that berth that this writer has seen in Kells Park for many a long day. It is a measure of Govern‘s defensive stature that when, in an effort to get Moynalty on the offensive, he was switched to midfield. Carlanstown recorded a goal and two points.
McMahon was on the mark in this game. He bagged 1-3 of the victors’ score. The Carlanstown attack gave indications that it could develop into a really strong force, for there is cleverness and polish in the forwards approach work. But a scoring forward is a “must.”
Best for the winners were
McMahon, Briody, O’Brien, Hand, Tighe, Curran and Thompson.
‘s form need not necessarily be taken at its face value, for they were short a good few of their regulars. They were also short of a gallop. Apart from Govern, the Moynalty players who’ sometimes caught the eye were Jim Lynch, Clerkin, Cussen, Reilly, McEvoy, Carolan and O. Govern.
An appeal to the Carlanstown mentors—please see to it that your players wear correctly numbered jerseys. It was confusing on Sunday to see backs numbered as forwards and forwards as backs.

Ollie Govern opened Moynalty’s account with a minor from a free and Mickey Lynch added another from play. T. McGillick first timed a Carlanstown point over the bar. Then further Carlanstown minors came from Hand and Munroe (2) to leave the half-time score: Carlanstown, 0-4: Moynalty, 0-2.
Carlanstowns second half scores came from McMahon (1-3).
Result: Carlanstown, 1-7, Moynalty, 0-2.

M. Hand; J. Carpenter, P. Curran, J. Cassidy; T. Tighe, J. Thompson, E. Thompson; P. McMahon. J. Carpenter; S. Munroe, H. Briody, T. O’Brien; T. McGillick, B. Hand, J. Moore. Subs.— Jack Murphy for T. Cassidy and J. Cassidy for J. Moore.
P. Lynch; O. Smith, P. Govern, P. Cussen; K. Clarke, J. Lynch, P. Carolan; O. Govern, T. Reilly: E. Clarke. P. Reilly, M. Lynch; S. Gargan, J. McEvoy, F. McEvoy.
Mr. M. Dowdall (Kilberry) refereed.

APRIL 14th 1962


At a junior football challenge game at Newtown on Sunday, Syddan played a draw match against Carlanstown on the scores 2-4 each. Conditions were most unfavourable for football, but both sides did their best to overcome the handicaps imposed by the weather. The soft going underfoot made it impossible to indulge in really constructive play, but nevertheless both sets of players strove manfully to provide the large attendance with the best possible fare in the circumstances. The closeness of the scoring had the effect of maintaining interest to the end.
Syddan had a really good attacker in Johnny White who notched no less than 2-1 of his sides total, the remaining scores coming from Billy Dillon 0-2 and S. Gargan 0-1. For Carlanstown Benny Hand, McEnroe and Moore amassed their total between them.
Mr. E. Monaghan of Syddan refereed.
The Carlanstown club were afterwards presented with the Syddan Cup which they won in a recent tournament sponsored by the club.

JULY 21st 1962
Carlanstown beat Moylough by 3-6 to 1-6 in the junior “A” football championship at Kells on Sunday.The game was well contested at all stages and if the laurels rest in Carlanstown, they may thank the opportunism of their forwards for the result. Moylough played well for most of the way, but the finishing of their attackers was weak . Their defence was badly caught out for two goals while their marking generally left much to be desired. Nevertheless, their performance as a team stepped up considerably on their last championship appearance and their catching and fielding was at times of a very commendable standard. A young team with plenty of enthusiasm, they fared well against craftier opponents who about deserved the honours, after a very enjoyable contest marred to some extent by a flare-up, happily of short duration near the end.

The Kilbeg parish men had to battle very hard throughout. Their defence was often seen to greater advantage, and as a team they had moments of uncertainty which gave their supporters no reason for jubilation. Everything considered, however they used their experience to the fullest advantage, though it was difficult to understand the play-the-man tactics which they adopted in the closing stages, decidedly to their disadvantage. Their best players in defence were Paddy Curran, John Carpenter and Jack Murphy, Benny Hand and Joe Carpenter tried hard at midfield and Tom O’Brien, Sean Munroe and Paddy McMahon were the cream of the attack. Mick Devine gave a splendid exhibition in the Oldcastle parish men’s defence and got un-stinted co-operation from P. Briody, H. Gibney and P. Culligan. O. Lynch and B. Briody held their end up well at midfield and P. Halpin, P. Sheridan and O. Farrelly were the best of the forwards. In a sizzling pace throughout, the Moylough men appeared to last the better.
In the 2nd minute Tom O’ Brien had a neat point for Carlanstown which was negatived by P. Sheridan three minutes later. There were wides at both ends in even exchanges before Paddy McMahon caught the Moylough defence napping for a good goal in the 15th minute.
Three minutes later, Tom O’Brien tacked on another after brilliant play by the Carlanstown forwards and Sean Munroe increased the lead of the Kilbeg parish men by a point from a free in the 20th minute.In a strong offensive P. Halpin had two points for Moylough in the 22nd and 23rd minutes, and T. McGillick replied with a minor for Carlanstown a minute later. Moylough attacked and P. Halpin had a point in the 26th minute to close the first half scoring at :
Carlanstown had a goal by Sean Munroe two minutes after the resumption and in a Moylough raid P. Halpin shot a point from a free for Moylough three minutes later. Joe Carpenter increased the Carlanstown men’s lead with a point in tht 6th minute which was negatived by P. Sheridan a minute later. In rare exchanges Carlanstown advanced for two points by Sean Munroe in the 16th and 18th minutes. Moylough attacked strongly but were beaten back by Paddy Curran and Jack Murphy and Carlanstown took up the running, fruitlessly, Moylough returning to the offensive for a point by P. Halpin from a free in the 24th minute. The exchanges were tough in the closing stages with Moylough attacking strongly, but there was no further scoring.
Carlanstown M. Hand; John Carpenter, P. Curran, P. Kavanagh; E. Thompson, J. Thompson, J. Murphy; B. Hand, Joe Carpenter; T. Tighe, T. O’Brien, T. McGillick; A. O’Connell, P. McMahon, M. Flanagan. Subs.— S. Munroe for Flanagan, P. Keaveney for Tighe.
Moylough H. Gibney; P. Devin P. Briody. M. Devine; J.J. Farrelly P. Culligan, O. Gilsenan; O. Lynch, B. Briody; P. Sheridan, P. Halpin O. Farrelly; A. Brady, T. Hughes, J. Eginton. Subs.—J. Rehill for Devin, M. Smith for B. Briody.
Mr. J. Casserly, Moynalty, refereed.
JULY 28th 1962
In a hard-fought and entertaining game played under ideal conditions, Dunderry beat Carlanstown by 0-7 to 0-4 in a junior football “A” championship encounter at Kells on Sunday.There was little between the sides at any time, with the scores level until ten minutes from the end, when the stronger Dunderry men chalked up three points to bring victory at the final whistle.
Two minutes from the finish a do-or-die Carlanstown attack was only balked from success by the brilliance of the Dunderry custodian, whose save was one of the highlights of the game.The match was played at a good pace and the exchanges were hard and unrelenting throughout.
The Kilbeg parish men, who led by a point at the interval, put in their best effort in the opening half, Their attack, however, found a rugged and well-knitted Dunderry defence a tough nut to crack, and they were never allowed to exploit their strategy to any great advantage. Every ball had to be fought for in the most gruelling fashion and the opportunist often found the opportunity so short-lived that it was almost impossible to siege.
Dunderry seemed to last the better and improved considerably in the second half. They had to pull every trick out of the bag, nevertheless, to obtain mastery in a game in which their chances dimmed on a number of occasions, though never allowed to fade because of the magnificence of their efforts.
Carlanstown have no reason to be disappointed with the result. They went as near as could be to beating a much stronger side and territorial could have claimed to have divided the spoils. Outstanding player for the winners was right full-back P. Coffey, who took his side out of a number of tight corners and was at his best under the severest of pressure. He got full co-operation from T. Coffey, P. Kelly, V. Darcy and F. Tuite. T. Naughton and S. Weldon, and later E. Horan, had their moments at midfield where they had a tough assignment, and F. Coffey sparkled in an attack in which M. Weldon and F. Fitzsimons were prominent.
Carlanstown had strong defenders in J. Murphy, B. Hand, E. Thompson and P. Curran. H. Briody was outstanding at midfield where he dominated for long spells. Others
to catch the eye were J. Carpenter, P McMahon, T. O’Brien and S. Munroe.
Carlanstown scored four times in the first half, while Dunderry had 3 similar performance after the resumption to complete their tally.The Kilbeg parish men failed to register in the second moiety.
Carlanstown were first away but were repulsed by P. Coffey. Harry Briody however got the Kilbeg parish men again on the move with fruitless results. In hard exchanges, Dunderry advanced and had a point by F. Coffey in the fifth minute. In lively up-and-down play Carlanstown had a neat point by P. Keaveny four minutes later and T. O’Brien tacked on another in the 11th minute. P. Darcy was seen to great advantage as Dunderry defended stubbornly, and in a twinkle Benny Hand was to the fore in clearing from a Dunderry raid on the Carlanstown citadel offensive which was beaten off by W. Darcy and F. Tuite opened up a raid on the Carlanstown citadel which ended in a point by M. Weldon, from a free in the 20th minute. Good play by F. Coffey led to a further Dunderry minor by F. Fitzsimons two minutes later. Carlanstown took up the running and had a splendid white flag by P. Keaveney in the 25th minute, followed by another by J. Carpenter a minute later. There were wides at both ends before the half-time whistle which found the scores:
Carlanstown pressed after the resumption and were wide on two occasions, before Dunderry moved into the attack for the levelling point by B. Brady in the seventh minute. Excitement mounted as both sides strove hard to gain the initiative, Carlanstown eventually advancing with fruitless results. S. Weldon gave his side the lead for the first time with a point in the 20th minute, but Carlanstown hit back to force a fifty after a great effort by P. Keaveney, which was cleared by P. Darcy from the goalmouth. Dunderry were having somewhat the better of the exchanges and had a further minor by S. Weldon in the 27th minute. A strong Carlanstown offensive, led by Briody, was beaten off by P. Kelly, who saved his net under severe pressure and in the 29th minute the Carlanstown custodian Matt Hand, was alert for a Dunderry effort. In an exciting finish J. Coffey had a point for Dunderry just on time.
Dunderry— P. Kelly; P. Coffey. T. Coffey, P. Brady: M. Morris, V. Darcy. F. Tuite; T. Naughton. S. Weldon; B. Brady, E. Horan. E. Martin; M. Weldon, F. Fitzsimons, F. Coffey.
Subs: J. Coogan for S. Weldon, M. Weldon for M. Morris, Morris for T. Naughton.
Carlanstown— M. Hand; J Murphy. P. Curran, P. Carpenter J. Thompson. B. Hand. E. Thompson; H. Briody. J. Carpenter: Patrick Keaveney. T. O’Brien. A. Connell P. Keaveney, P. McMahon. S Munroe.
Mr. J. Casserly (Moynalty) refereed.

MAY 20th 1961
Carlanstown got a big “gunk” at Kells Park on Sunday where they were unexpectedly beaten 2-3 to 0-6 by Dunderry in the junior football “A” championship. They were the architects of their own defeat. Their forwards threw the game away through an inordinate desire for fancy football.
The losers did virtually all the attacking in the first half and shaped like certain winners, yet they held only a three-point lead at the interval. The attack was entirely responsible for that state of affairs. The forwards indulged in attractive looking movements, but there was no punch in the attack.
A second half switch that brought Dunderry’s full-forward T Naughton to midfield put the south Meath side on the victory trail. Naughton dominated the midfield sector and as a consequence, the Dunderry attack got plenty to do. The Carlanstown defence was soon in serious trouble and two swift majors put paid to Carlanstown’s hopes.
Dunderry’s more direct methods paid dividends in the long run. They were a less polished side than the opposition, but their hard-hitting raids gradually undermined the efficiency of an apparently strong Carlanstown defence.
Dunderry owe a debt of gratitude to their full-backs, A. Cregan, P. Coffey and W. Darcy. This line did excellent work for the hour. Cregan caught some grand balls. Darcy was solidly reliable. Coffey, one of the best defenders in the business, gave yet another scintillating performance.
The man-of-the-match, where the winners were concerned, was, of course, Tom Naughton. Others to catch the eye were J. Connor, P. Fitzsimons, b. Mulligan, J. Coogan and E. Martin. Most promising forward on the field was the losers Harry Briody who played some delightful football. Jack Murphy, Paddy Curran, Joe Carpenter, Tom O’Brien and Sean Munroe did well at intervals.

On their first visit to enemy territory in the sixth minute, Carlanstown scored, Munroe shooting a point. Briody added another and then went very close to netting. E. Martin reduced the lead with a white flag from a free, but Tom O’Brien and Munroe (free) each had a minor to leave the interval score: Carlanstown, 0-4; Dunderry. 0-1.
Dunderry resumed with Tom Fitzsimons in their ranks. Tom Naughton pointed from a free and then Jimmy Coogan boxed a ball into the goalmouth and Connor finished to the net. Shortly afterwards F. Fitzsimons let Coogan in behind the Carlanstown full-back line with a beautifully judged punt and Coogan shot a goal. Munroe pointed from a free. Tighe retired and was replaced by P. O’Connell. Tom Fitzsimons shot a grand minor from a distance. Munroe ended the scoring with a point from a free.

Dunderry— P. Kelly; P. Coffey, A. Cregan, W. Darcy; M. Morris, J. Connor, P. Tuite; E. Horan, P. Dalton; D. Mulligan, P. Fitzsimons, E. Martin; J. Coogan, T. Naughton, F. Mulligan.
J. Carpenter; M. Hand, P. Curran, P. Carpenter; E. Thompson, J. Murphy, J. Thompson; J. Carpenter, P. McMahon; H. Briody, T. O’Brien, B. Hand; T. Tighe T. McGillick, S. Munroe.
Mr. P. Maguire (Kells) refereed.
JULY 23rd 1960:
Carlanstown 0-4, Fordstown 2-1.

Fordstown defeated Carlanstown by 2-1 to 0-4 in the Intermediate Football Championship at Kells on Sunday. Carlanstown had more of the game territorial, but their forwards made little impression against a Fordstown defence in which W. Rennicks and J. Meehan starred. With neither team having any interest in the championship, the encounter lacked the fire and zeal usually associated with such fixtures. Other players prominent for Fordstown were Tommy Timmons, J. McGinn, J. Murray, and T. Timmons. Carlanstown’s best players were P. Curran, J. Murphy, T. O’Brien, P. Connell and H. Briody. The winners scores came from S. Murray 2-0, and M. Henry 0-1. Marksmen for Carlanstown were H. Briody 0-2, E. Collier and J. Moore 0-1 each. Mr. M. Campbell ( Drumbaragh ) refereed.

JANUARY 17th 1959
Carlanstown F.C.— St. Patricks F.C. Carlanstown, will hold their annual meeting in the old school, Carlanstown on Tuesday at 8 pm. All interested are cordially invited to attend.
FEBRUARY 9th 1957
Carlanstown F.C. at their annual meeting elected the following officers :—
President;- Very Rev. P. Fox, P.P. Kilbeg; chairman, Mr. James Curran; vice-chairman, Mr. Patrick Downey; secretary and treasurer, Mr. James Keaveney; assistant secretary Mr. John Fitzsimons; committee; the above officers with Messrs James Kiernan, Michael Smith, John Carpenter, Noel Collins, Michael Murtagh, Patrick O’Connell, James Murphy, Joseph Mo—e, Matthew Hand, Henry Curran, Bernard O’Brien.
The appointment of a selection committee was left over until the next meeting. Votes of thanks were passed to Mr. Thomas McDonald Carlanstown and Mr. Stephen Clarke Tierworker for facilitating the club with playing pitches.

AUGUST 18th 1956

Two unbeaten teams, Carlanstown and Moynalty, met at Kells Park on Sunday in the junior football championship, and the former won by 1-3 to 1-2. It was a poor game of football, but little responsibility for that development could be placed on the players. Not only was the pitch greasy and the ball slippery and heavy, but the second half was played in a downpour of rain. Carlanstown must be rated a shade lucky to collect both points. We thought Moynalty did enough to earn a draw, since they practically monopolized the second moiety raids. Carlanstown supporters on the other hand, could advance the sound argument that it was not until their midfielder Peter O’Brien, was crocked and had to be switched to the attack, that Moynalty took over the initiative. For their victory Carlanstown can thank their half-back line, which absorbed the weight of Moynalty’s second half offensives and pulled the teeth of that attack. O’Connell, whose high fielding was of in-estimatable value and his flanks, Thompson and Murphy, did splendid work during this period.
The foundations of victory were well laid by the midfield pair of O’Brien and Benny Hand. Hand worked like a trojan when he lost his partner. O’Brien had a great first half. Lynch, Flynn, Munroe and Collins often caught the eye.
We cannot say how handicapped the winners were by the prevailing conditions. We can state with conviction that the conditions were fatal for the Moynalty attack. The story of Moynalty’s victories before Sunday was the story of the boxed pass exploited by Casserly and Gaynor. The boxed pass took a back-seat on Sunday, and the result was that the Moynalty attack was reduced almost to impotency. It is significant that in the second half, when they reigned supreme, the losers could record only one point, and that was from a free. Actually, statistics do not throw a very favourable light on the Carlanstown vanguard either. Their forwards failed to notch a second half score and could record only one point from play for the hour, Carlanstown had ten wides to the losers nine while Moynalty had two “fifties” against the winners’ nil.
The most constructive of the Moynalty defenders was their right half-back, J. Lynch, who put his team attacking times out of number after the resumption. J. Briody worked very hard and very successfully at midfield. Best of the others were Cahill, Clerkin and Gaynor. An early injury played havoc with Casserly’s efficiency.


M. Reilly, Carlanstown’s custodian, saved on the line from Gilsenan but in the ninth minute Paddy Fitzsimons netted for Carlanstown. Three minutes later Paddy Reilly replied with a Moynalty goal following good play by Farrelly and Gaynor. Gaynor gave Moynalty the lead with a point from a free. Noel Collins raised the white flag from a free for Carlanstown and Peter O’Brien added another from a free in the 25th minute. Noel Collins added a point when he appeared to have a goal at his mercy. We thought however, that he did the right thing in trying for a minor score. He was on his “hunkers” when he came into possession from a Keaveney centre. To have attempted to shoot for a goal, since it would mean steadying himself, would be to invite “burial” by one of the backs. Very properly we thought, Collins took a pot shot. In the event, it was the winning score.
Half-time tally: CARLANSTOWN 1-3, MOYNALTY 1-1.
The only score in the second half was a Moynalty point from a free taken by Jim Lynch.
Carlanstown — M. Reilly, S. Kearney, M. Lynch, S. Carpenter: J. Thompson, P. O’Connell, J. Murphy; B. Hand, P. O’Brien: S. Munroe, P. Flynn, P. McMahon; T. O’Brien, N. Collins, R. Kearney.
Moynalty— A. Russell; P. J. Reilly, P. Cahill, J. Finnegan; J. Lynch, Jim Lynch, T. O’Reilly. J. Briody, T. Reilly; M. Clerkin. P. Reilly, C. Farrelly – . J. Casserly, T. Gilsenan, P. Gaynor. Sub., Charlie Carolan for Terry Gilsenan.
Mr. T. Million (Kilberry) refereed.

JULY 1951:
The following are two extracts from the Meath Chronicle dated July 28th 1951 and they relate to the goings on at the Kells District GAA Board meeting and although it has nothing whatsoever to do with our parish teams, ( however the referee R. Cassidy did play on parish teams and the secretary J. Keaveny was from Carlanstown ) it’s an interesting and somewhat funny read and it goes to show that very little has changed in the meantime.
At the meeting of Kells District Board GAA on Friday night, arising out of the referee’s report of the Fordstown and Carnaross game, Mr. M. Brien ( Carnaross ) said Fordstown were twenty minutes late taking the field. Mr. Lynch ( Fordstown ) said ten minutes were spent looking for umpires. The chairman ( Mr. Patrick Hopkins ) said that some teams did not deserve to get fixtures. They did not care about the spectators at all. The people in charge of the gate should have the grounds ready. Mr. Brien: Fordstown were late coming out, it was not a case of looking for umpires. Mr. G. Heery ( Drumbaragh ) asked who’s responsibility was it to provide the umpires and the sideline men, he was told that he should have had them when he went to referee a game in Moynalty. “ It would be very hard for me he added to bring umpires and side-line men with me on my bicycle “ ( laughter ). Mr. Sheridan: the teams must be satisfied with the umpires. The Chairman said it was not fair to have spectators standing about waiting for a game to start. The club getting the gate should have everything ready. “ We will deal with teams that are late he declared”.
Arising out of the referee’s ( Mr. R. Cassidy’s ) report, read at the meeting of Kells District Board GAA on Friday night of the Drumbaragh – Carnaross game at Moynalty, the chairman ( Mr. Patrick Hopkins ) said that a Carnaross player who had been ordered off would have to come before the next meeting of the board. Mr. F. Ginnity ( Drumbaragh ) said the grounds were not marked properly according to rule 128. Mr. C. Sheridan ( Moynalty ) pointed out that according to another rule, the two captains must draw the attention of the referee to the irregularity before the game. The chairman said the teams had played without a protest. That ended the matter he thought, the hon. Secretary ( Mr. J. Keaveny ) agreed. Chairman: It is up to the teams, where the grounds are not marked to play under protest. Mr. Ginnity: We did not notice it until the penalty kick was given,
“ he is a great man who can give a penalty when there is no square “ Apologizing for the ground not being marked out Mr. Sheridan explained that the man who was to have marked it did not turn up. The club had marked the ground with flags.

AUGUST 4th 1951
The divisional final of the Juvenile championship between Carlanstown and Moynalty will be played at Kells Park on Monday next at 7-30pm.
AUGUST 11th 1951
One of the best games of football seen in Kells for years was witnessed by a large attendance on Monday night when Carlanstown beat Moynalty by 4-3 to 3-4 in the divisional final of the under 14 championship.
MARCH 30th 1946
Semi-finals will be played in Carlanstown School as follows:
First semi-final on Sunday night 31st March 1946.
Second semi-final on Sunday night 7th April 1946.
Both semi-finals will start at 9pm (official time).
Final takes place on Sunday night, the 14
th April 1946.
First prize, £8; Second prize, £3; Third prize, £1.
Free card to promoter of eight cards.
CARD 2/6.
Refreshments will be served at a small extra charge.

AUGUST 4th 1945
The North Meath District Board has decided to present a set of medals for a football tournament which begins in Kells on the 18th of August with matches C and E below:- (A) Harps selection v Oldcastle, (B) Carlanstown v Carnaross, ( C ) Martry v Dulane, (D) Moynalty v Ballinvalley, (E) Kilbeg v Ballinlough. The gate receipts will be pooled and divided equally among the clubs participating.
AUGUST 18th 1945:

A vote of sympathy was passed with Mr. Michael Murtagh on the death of his aunt. Raffle prize winners were: 1
st prize £2, ticket no. 73307, ( white impromptu ticket ), 2nd prize £1, ticket no 4996; 3rd prize 10/-, ticket no. 5655, Mrs P. Nolan, Maudlin St. Kells; 10/- prize for seller of the most tickets goes to D. Reilly.
SEPTEMBER 8th 1945
Carlanstown 1-4, Carnaross 0-6.
Carlanstown won the Intermediate football championship on Sunday when, at the Park in Kells, they defeated Carnaross by 1-4 to 0-6. The game will give rise to many “inquests” and no satisfactory verdict will be reached. Speculation will take the form of the question: Would Carnaross have won if they had had a full team? While the writer does not propose to answer that question, he will go as far as to say that Carnaross were, primarily, the architects of their own defeat. It was definitely bad luck from their point of view that one of their men should have been sent to the line in the first 5 minutes. Secondly, they allowed themselves to get rattled. Thirdly their forwards threw away innumerable opportunities of taking the lead. Fourthly, a free almost in front of the posts was missed in the last couple of minutes. In a sense it was a pity that the last free was not converted, because the public would then have seen the issue decided by two full teams.
Having said all that, we should like to congratulate Carlanstown on a merited victory. If their one point winning margin is small, having regard to the fact that their opponents were a man short, it also represented that quota of stamina, teamwork and coolness which frequently turns the scales of victory. They were a very fit team and had to be to survive the characteristic Carnaross rally in the concluding stages. Carlanstown made the ball do most of the work and if the general play of the forwards was ragged they always looked dangerous in the vicinity of the goals. The defence came through a trying ordeal with colours flying. They were subjected to severe and sustained pressure in the second moiety when a lapse might well have been a prelude to disaster. P. McGivney in the centre half berth, was outstanding for the hour, his timing and judgement were excellent while his fielding was as helpful as it was spectacular. A feature of the winners game was the display given by the “veteran” Dick Cassidy who launched numerous attacks. It was his long free kick which produced the only goal of the game. Apart from that he worked with a will all through and it was fitting that he should have been chaired off the pitch at the conclusion.
P. Kiernan also rendered yeoman service. J. O’Connell, Bruder and Curran were always to the fore. Carnaross certainly got most of the hard luck. It was a galling experience to fight an uphill battle with a depleted side and then miss the opportunity for a replay in the last few minutes. On another occasion, a free by Peter Yore landed on the crossbar and rebounded the wrong way – for Carnaross, in effect Carnaross lost the game in the first fifteen minutes when they became so rattled that they almost fell to pieces, and it was not until the concluding fifteen minutes that they really recovered their stride. It was then too late to remedy matters. It was evidence of the losers sheer and grim determination that they led by a point at the half time stage. P. Reilly, L. Yore, J. Yore, Peter Yore, M. Gilsenan, Mulvany and Farnan did good work. The tackling was too keen to allow the game to be opened up and as a result the standard of play did not reach expectations. Still the large crowd present received good value. There were many exciting and thrilling passages, no quarter was asked or given, yet only one of the thirty participants had to retire injured. We feel it is but equitable to congratulate the Kells club on the state of the pitch and on the general arrangements. We note with pleasure that the linesmen they provided turned out in togs. The provision of goal nets on Sunday was further evidence of admirable attention to detail. The Kells club rose to the occasion and gave a lead that might well be followed. As a purely personal matter, we should like to thank the club for supplying the Press with a table and chair. Kells Brass Band played the neatly clad teams round the field and at half time rendered a much appreciated selection of airs. THE SCORES: Carlanstown went ahead in the first few minutes when Bruder sent a close in free over the bar. A couple of minutes later a Carnaross man was ordered off the field. Dick Cassidy raised a white flag with a free from a distance, Bruder added a point from a free from an awkward angle. Jack Yore reduced the lead with a point from a free and good work by Gilsenan and Reilly was a prelude to a struggle in front of the Carlanstown goals and Mulvany shot over a point. After S. Reilly had missed a free in front of the posts, J. Yore boxed in a centre which Mulvany captured and shot over the bar. Later, Mulvany boxed a pass to S. Reilly who pointed smartly. Half time score – Carnaross 0-4, Carlanstown 0-3. Carnaross went further ahead with a point from a free by P. Reilly. Dick Cassidy sent a long distance free in to the goalmouth where it bobbed about for a few seconds before entering the net. The game improved hereabouts and there were many bright passages as Carnaross launched a series of ferocious attacks which found the Carlanstown defence in grim mood. Peter Yore missed a “sitter” and then struck the crossbar from another free before Dick Cassidy captured a weak kick-out and shot over a good point. Patsy replied with a point from a free and this completed the scoring. Result: Carlanstown 1-4, Carnaross 0-6.
Carlanstown – P. Reilly, R. Cassidy, J. O’Connell, J. Bruder, J. Gaffney, M. Curran, P. Kiernan, J. Collins, P. Cassidy, P. McGivney, E. Reilly, R. O’Connell, T. Curran, J. Cassidy, J. Morris.
Carnaross – P. Farnan, J. Bennett, P. Reilly, M. Chance, J. Reilly, P. Donoghue, L. Yore, M. Reilly, P. Yore, P. Yore, J. Yore, M. Gilsenan, T. Reilly, J. Mulvany, S. Reilly.
Mr. P. Reilly ( Navan ) refereed. He handled a difficult game with his usual efficiency. His attention to breaches of the new rule about boxing the ball gave rise to a crop of frees.
OCTOBER 10th 1945:
At the monthly meeting of the Meath County Board Gaelic Athletic Association on Tuesday night, Carnaross GFC objected to Carlanstown being awarded the points of an intermediate championship match played at Kells on the 2nd of September on the grounds that Joseph Cassidy, who played, was not included in the list, That Patrick Reilly whose name was included in the list, did not play and that Patrick McGivney was illegal. The chairman Mr. S. Newman ruled the objection was out of order as the paper on which it was set out was not Irish water marked paper.
NOVEMBER 11th 1945:
The following members will turn out in the Park in Kells on Sunday for game versus Carnaross:- P. Reilly, S. Gaffney, P. Kiernan, J. Collins, T. Curran, D. Cassidy, J. O’Connell, J. Kearney, P. Cassidy, J. Morris, R. O’Connell, J. Cassidy, N. Reilly, J. Cassidy, M. Curran, J. O’Rorke, J. Smith, T. Collins.
DECEMBER 1st 1945:
Sweat and cheers describe events in the Park in Kells on Sunday when Carlanstown and Carnaross met in a challenge game. It was a hectic affair in which no quarter was asked or given. Certainly the spectators got good value for their money and they are looking forward to another exhilarating encounter, for the game ended in a draw, Carnaross 2-1, Carlanstown 1-4. The explanation for the “needle” nature of this game probably lies in the fact that Carlanstown are the intermediate champions while Carnaross are the runners-up. In a sense a draw was a fitting sequel to a match that was packed with thrills and good football at times. Carnaross probably lost the game through lack of steadiness during a period when they had their opponents definitely on the run. Carlanstown were unlucky to have to play into a setting sun in the second moiety, when two frees in front of the posts were missed. While keen tackling and close marking were obstacles to open play, there were quite a few bouts of fast and clever football which kept the spectators interests wide awake. Each side had a splendid goal to its credit, J. Cassidy from about 15 yards out, sent in a pile-driver, which the custodian probably never saw. At the other end, Bennett, from a 25 yard free, sent the ball sailing just under the cross-bar and well out of the goalie’s reach – a splendid effort this was. McGivney, Kiernan, Kearney, R. & J. Cassidy and Bruder were always prominent for Carlanstown. Bennett, the Yore’s, P. Reilly and Brien were to the fore for Carnaross. J. Cassidy opened the scoring as described, following good work by Bruder. Bennett replied with a goal from a free, J. Yore boxed over a point to give Carnaross the lead. From a J. O’Connell free, Cassidy levelled. S. Reilly banged in a major to which Dick Cassidy replied with a minor from a free to leave the half time score : Carnaross 2-1, Carlanstown 1-2. Dick Cassidy and Bruder had points from frees in the second half to complete the scoring.
Mr. Patrick McCabe ( Kells ) handled a difficult game with great coolness and skill.
DECEMBER 1st 1945:
A rare treat is in store for football enthusiasts at the Park, Kells on Sunday, when two outstanding games are scheduled to take place. The “gate” will go to a deserving cause. The minor finalists, Gleann an Midhe and St. Columbcille’s meet again. The outcome should be first class football. Those who were present at the Park last Sunday need not be told anything about the Carlanstown v Carnaross clash which resulted in a draw. The replay should be a hectic affair.

DECEMBER 8th 1945:
The replay of the Carlanstown and Carnaross game proved something of an anti-climax. Compared to the drawn match, this was a lame affair. In fact one was expecting every moment to see the players engaging in a bout of “ring-a-ring-a-rosy”. That was the comparative side of the picture. Actually, it was a hard dour struggle between well matched teams. Carnaross won by 0-5 to 0-4, a score which accurately reflects the trend of the exchanges, in thus reversing the intermediate final result. Carnaross were by no means lucky, they were the better side and were fully entitled to the honours. Their teamwork was clearly superior to that of their opponents who wee never allowed to dictate the course of the game for more than brief periods. Unexpectedly enough, the winners had a pull at midfield where the foundations of victory were laid. T. Curran opened the scoring with a good point for Carlanstown. Reilly, following clever play by J. Yore, nullified. Almost immediately afterwards J. Gilsenan gave Carlanstown the lead again. Dick Cassidy added a point from a free and M. Brien did likewise for Carnaross to leave the half time score: Carlanstown 0-3, Carnaross 0-2.
Jack Yore was early prominent and he placed Reilly for the latter to level the scoring. Patsy Yore had a grand minor from an awkward angle. S. Reilly added a point. Shortly before the end Dick Cassidy pointed from a free.
Mr. T. Rennicks ( Martry ) refereed.
NOVEMBER 10th 1945
Carlanstown 2-5, Munterconnaught 2-3.
At Carnaross on Sunday, Carlanstown defeated Munterconnaught by 2-5 to 2-3 in the medal tournament. The visitors are Cavan Junior finalists and Carlanstown are Meath Intermediate champions. In the opening moiety Munterconnaught were on top. They started off briskly and knocked the opposition out of their stride so effectively that they dictated the course of the game. After the resumption, however, Carlanstown showed their mettle and playing with great dash and vigour, they threw every manner of spanners into the Cavan works. B. McEnroe, the Cavan team’s right half-forward, is one of the most elusive, heavy footballers we have seen in action for a considerable time. Other Munterconnaught players to catch the eye were B. McEnroe ( same name – different man ), Conaty, Cunningham & Hetherton. For the winners, R. Cassidy, Kiernan, Curran, J. Cassidy, McGivern, Kearney and Gaffney did well. Munterconnaught scored three times without reply in the first half, B. McEnroe ( forward ) registering 1-2. In the second moiety the Carlanstown scores came from J. O’Connell 1-0, R. Cassidy 1-0 ( a magnificent boxed goal ), T. Curran 0-1, P. Cassidy 0-2, R. Cassidy 0-1.
Mr. P. Ward refereed.
OCTOBER 25th 1941
The first game was between Carlanstown and Wilkinstown which the former won by a margin of two points. The result was a surprise not primarily because Wilkinstown were defeated, but because Carlanstown managed to win despite the absence of such players as Gaffney, Fitzsimons, Brouder, Collins and Cassidy. The meeting of these teams provided poor fare due to the prevailing conditions. Wilkinstown lacked most of their old fire and punch and paid the penalty. Carlanstown played with dash and determination which made up for a lot of ragged forward work. The losers vanguard was completely off the mark, their finishing revealing a total disregard for the effects of the high cross wind. For the winners, Kiernan, the two O’Connell’s, McGivney, Kearney and Carpenter did well.
Wilkinstown should have beaten this weakened Carlanstown team and would have done so had they revealed anything like their best form. They seem to be developing a weakness—taking things easy which has frequently proved fatal to more ambitious sides. Sonny Smith was again in good form in a back line which showed a disposition to be caught on the wrong foot under sudden pressure. Bowler, Rennicks, Farrelly and Smith did good work.
Carlanstown v. Wilkinstown,
Carlanstown were the first to score, J. O’Connell pointing promptly after a nice movement in which McGivney, McPhillips and Carpenter participated. Later, McGivney pulled down Kiernan’s “50” and repeated the dose. J. O’Connell added another from a free. The same player subsequently placed a free in the goalmouth where Carpenter punched over a point. Nearing the end of this half, P. Colwell, who appeared to have left his shooting boots at home, scored a minor from a free leaving the half-time score:—
Carlanstown— 0-4, Wilkinstown—0-1.
In a swift Carlanstown attack, initiated by Kiernan and carried on by R. O’Connell and Tully, J. O’Connell snatched a very good minor. P. Colwell reduced the lead with a point from a free and G. Colwell added another with a grand effort from far out R. O’Connell then pointed for Carlanstown. E. Farrelly shot over a minor from “Sonny” Smith’s “50.”
Result:— Carlanstown—0-8, Wilkinstown—0-4.
P. Kiernan, M. Kearney, P. McGivney, R. and J. O’Connell, T. Galligan, T. Curran, B. Hughes, E. Reilly, J. Carolan, T. Tully, M. Curran, M. Carpenter, J. Morris, H. McPhillips.
J. Smith, M. Smith, J. Smith, T. Million, E. McKeown, B. Rennicks, M. Bowler, B. Collins, P. Colwell, G. Colwell, E. Farrelly, P. Blaney, J. Smyth, A. Farrelly, G. Corcoran.
Mr. J. Cummins (Castletown) refereed.
JULY 13th 1940
At a meeting of St. Patrick’s G.F.C, Carlanstown, a vote of sympathy was passed with Mr. L. Carpenter on the death of his father-in-law. The club wish to thank Mr. Edward Dunne, Ralphson’s House for use of pitch for game on Sunday, 30th ult.
NOVEMBER 16th 1940
At Gibstown on Sunday, Carlanstown created a surprise by defeating Martry in the Gibstown Football League. Carlanstown proved themselves a useful side during the year but it was believed that Martry’s greater experience would carry the day. Though favoured by the wind Carlanstown had only a two-point lead at the interval. In the second half with the wind, Martry put up only one point and Carlanstown a goal , leaving a victory for the latter by four points. Carlanstown defended gallantly and withstood a heavy bombardment in the last quarter of the game.
Cassidy and Fitzsimons each notched a point for Carlanstown in tho first two minutes. Martry then attacked and were beaten off. John Coogan got possession from a side-line throw but was dispossessed by Brouder. Then a free to Martry was sent wide by Coogan. Smith initiated an attack on the Carlanstown goal which was beaten off by Kearney. Returning to the attack Smith rushed through a goal. After a series of Martry wides Carlanstown broke free and O’Connell netted. Fitzsimons put up Carlanstown’s third point, leaving the half-time score:
Carlanstown—1-3. Martry—1-1.

Carlanstown pressed against the wind and Brouder and Fitzsimons sent wide. Fitzsimons got possession, centered to Cassidy who tried for a goal but was beaten by C. Coogan between the posts. Carlanstown forwards returned and Cassidy goaled. Martry forwards made a valiant effort to retrieve their position but it availed little against a stonewall defence. Coogan sent over a point just before the long whistle. Final score:
Carlanstown—2-3, Martry—1-2.
K. Reilly, M. Kearney, T. Tully, J. Gaffney , J. O’Connell, P. Fitzsimons, P. Cassidy, J. Tully, R. O’Connell, P. Curran, P. Reilly, J. Brouder, J. Collins, P. Smith , J. Cassidy.
MARTRYD. Lowery, J. Lynch, A. Corrigan, P. Smith, J. Lynch, A. Corrigan,, P. Smith, M. Coffey, T. Kearney, C Coogan, J. Smith, M. Smith, J. Cassidy, P. O’Connell, J. Coogan.
Referee—Mr. McKeown.

On the same venue, Bohermeen got a walk-over from Wilkinstown as the latter were unable to field a full team.

In 1939 former Minister for Local Government, Jimmy Tully and Owenie Gaffney formed a team in Carlanstown called St. Patrick’s. They lost to Longwood in the 1942 Intermediate final. I came across this short report in the Meath Chronicle of that particular final which was the second match of a double header in Pairc Tailteann on Sunday September 27
th 1942. Meath Hill had earlier beaten Kilcloon by 3-6 to 1-6 in the Junior final. The following is the report from The Meath Chronicle:

OCTOBER 3rd 1942:
Longwood 0-3, St. Patricks Carlanstown 0-1. Longwood defeated Carlanstown at Pairc Tailteann in the Intermediate football final by 0-3 to 0-1. It was a poor game spoiled by too many frees. In the first half Pat McEnroe pointed from a free but immediately afterwards Longwood had a similar score when Weir sent over the bar from a free. Play ruled fairly even until the interval before which Connolly put Longwood into the lead with a point .
Interval :- Longwood 0-2, St. Patricks Carlanstown 0-1.
Both sets of forwards were decidedly weak in the second half. Carlanstown missed half a dozen close in frees. Longwood worked with better understanding among its front rank men, although hard pressed in the closing stages they held their narrow lead to which Foran added another minor.
Result :- Longwood 0-3, St. Patricks Carlanstown 0-1.
– P. Murtagh, H. Bird, J. Kelly, R. Maguire, C. Flattery, J. J. Weir, J. Hatton, J. Connolly, P. Giles, M. Dixon, D. Mulligan, A. Foran, J. Duignan, R. Kelly and A. Connolly.
St. Patricks
Carlanstown – J. Gaffney, P. McEnroe, H. McEnroe, Pat McEnroe, P. Curran, T. Curran, M. Curran, J. Collins, P. Kiernan, R. O’Connell, J. O’Connell, P. McGivney, J. Bruder, J. Cassidy and J. Tully.
Mr. P. Ratty ( Navan ) refereed both games impartially.
MARCH 25th 1939
A good attendance representing a ” gate ” of £7 at Carlanstown on Sunday, witnessed what promised to be a keen and exciting struggle between the Intermediate sides, Carnaross and Nobber. Contrary to expectations, the encounter resulted in a disappointing, colourless match which never reached a high standard. When these teams met in Kells a few weeks ago under appalling weather conditions they served up unexpectedly good football and it was hoped that in fine weather improved form would be shown by both fifteens. It turned out to be a faint hope, indeed. Nobber’s display was too bad to be true, while the ultimate winners had little to boast about. They won by a margin of five points and deserved to do so, but the style of play which led up to the victory was such as to inspire little confidence.
Result: Carnaross 0-10, Nobber 1-2.
MAY 13th 1939
Carlanstown, who were not at full strength, scored almost immediately, Smith banging in a goal from J. Tully’s long drive. Five minutes Inter Farnan replied with a good point, but Smith raised the white flag following good work by Brouder, while a few minutes afterwards Smith gave Rattigan no chance with a left footed drive into the conier of the net. Tully captured the kick-out and middled. Smith fielded , was fouled going through and Fitzsimons pointed from the free. The same player had two further points from frees before Smith, from Curran banged in another major and Hughes added a point. Just, before the short whistle, Ned Reilly had a good goal for Carnaross to leave the half-time score:—
Carlanstown 3—5; Carnaross, 1—1.
Carlanstown dashed to the attack right away and Fitzsimons had a point from a free, but Mick Reilly captured a kick-out and sent over a good minor shortly afterwards. After Carolan ( Carlanstown) had saved a penalty. Fitzsimons had a point from a free, back came Carnaross and Pat Yore sent to Tom Reilly who notched a right good minor although he subsequently sent a penalty kick wide while attempting to place the ball in the corner of the net. Up and down play followed, and then Brouder crossed to Smith who snapped a point while a good centre from Jim Tully was rammed home by Hughes for a major to which Smith added another after calmly walking through the Carnaross defence. The last score came from J. Tully who pointed from Brouder’s accurate centre.
Final score:— Carlanstown 5—9; Carnaross, 1—3.
Carlanstown: J. Carolan, T. Tully, M. Kearney, P. Carpenter, S. Gaffney, L. Guerin, O. Gaffney, T. Galligan, J. Tully, J. Brouder, P. Fitzsimons, J. Kiernan, B. Hughes, P. Smith, P. Curran.
Carnaross: Rattigan, T. Reilly, M. Reilly, P. Donoghue, P. Yore, J. Mulvany, N. Gaughran, F. Farnan, J. Daly, W. Daly, M. Reilly, M. McInerney, Pat Yore, J. Reilly, P. Brien.
Mr. F. Nulty ( Ballinlough ) refereed.
JULY 8th 1939
Carlanstown defeated St. Marys in a challenge game after the League match. Both sides showed changes on their championship teams, Carlanstown fielding nine newcomers, while St. Marys had five changes. After a fast, exciting game Carlanstown ran out winners by 3—3 to 1—1.
Carlanstown— J. Kiernan, M. Carney, P. Gaffney, T. O’Reilly, J. Tully, C. Smith, K. O’Connell, N. Collins, M. Curran, P. Smith, P. Collins. B. Hughes, P. Curran, L. Guerin, S. Gaffney.
Mr. P. Ward refereed.
SEPTEMBER 18th 1937
Having thralled through many many editions of the Meath Chronicle, I’ve only come across one item on a camogie team in the parish of Kilbeg. It’s a report on a match between Carlanstown and our neighbours Moynalty played in Moynalty. The following is the report from The Meath Chronicle dated Saturday September 18th 1937.
Moynalty 2-0, Carlanstown 1-0.
Moynalty were at home on Sunday last to Carlanstown in the Junior Championship and after a rather one sided game they ran out winners by 2 goals to one. It was the writers intention to give a pretty full description of the match, but as events proved, that became an impossibility. The ball appeared to have a fatal attraction for the two teams because wherever it went all the players – like Mary’s lamb – seemed to be after it. As a consequence, there was little constructive play and most of was supplied by the winners who were two short of the full compliment of players. There’s was the most experienced and virile side and their superior weight and dash was such as to keep Carlanstown on the run for the greater portion of the game. While, however, Moynalty deserved to win, chief honours must go to the heroic Carlanstown defence which gave a splendid display particularly in the first moiety when they were under severe pressure for fifteen of the twenty minutes, in spite of which no score was registered against them. Time and time again the ball appeared to be in the net but then one of the defenders would dash in to clear in the nick of time. From the clash of the ash and the fearless display of both teams one almost forgot that this was a camogie match. Certainly the men have nothing on these Amazonian’s when it comes to “guts” and determination, though one was glad to see that the feminine instinct had not completely disappeared – their tongues, how they wagged !. Moynalty went very close to losing the game through their defence getting somewhat flustered under sudden pressure, and if Carlanstown forwards had kept their positions better they would have registered at least one more goal. The winners were not only short two players but they had not their best team on the field and a victory was, therefore, all the more meritorious. They were served best by Brigid Casey, Josie Geraghty, Nan Corrigan, Mollie Reilly and Delia Reilly. Congratulations are due to the losers on a very plucky stand. There was no disgrace in their defeat for they went down fighting. Peggie Keaveny, Rose Ginnity, ( in goals ) and Clare Collins gave a wonderful display in a defence which can be proud of itself. Very good too were Dympna Fitzsimons, Christina Collins and Margaret Meehan. One nearly forgot to mention that Carlanstown had only eleven players. Nan Corrigan and Molly Reilly netted for the winners while Christine Collins replied for the losers.
Carlanstown – R. Ginnity, P. Keaveny, A. Tully, C. Collins, Clare Collins, M. Meehan, D. Fitzsimons, B. Gilsenan, B. Collins, B. O’Brien, M. Smith.
Moynalty – Molly Geraghty, M. Mulvany, B. Casey, M. Reilly, D. Reilly, R. Reilly, J. Geraghty. N. Corrigan, M. Carpenter, B. Reilly.
In the absence of the official referee, Mr. Con. Sheridan ( Moynalty ) had charge of the whistle.

OCTOBER 9th 1937:
GAELS’ PROTEST : The following is a copy of a letter received from Mr. T. Clusker, Secretary of Gaels FC – “ The members of our club wish to bring before your notice that the game, Castletown v Gaels, was not played at Carlanstown as fixed at the last County Board meeting. Our team travelled to this venue as per official notice, and after remaining for a while, were informed there was some mix-up about the venue and that the game would be played in Moynalty. Our team then travelled to this latter venue and played. We protest against this method of changing venues without the consent of the teams or the County Board. Travelling to Moynalty meant extra expenses on our club and, therefore, we claim payment of the extra car journey out of the gate receipts taken that day”. The Moynalty representative said that the game was not fixed for Carlanstown. They were told definitely and went on that understanding. It was only a method, he added to upset the Gaels’ travelling arrangements, that’s what was at the back of it. The Moynalty representative said that a car from the Gaels, with Mr. Clusker in it, was in Moynalty an hour before the game. Mr. Clusker said that was wrong, the car was sent down by the Board in connection with the gate. He went with Mr. McGillick earlier because of the confusion. Mr. Flood said the car called on him that day to know if he could give them any information. The chairman said that it was agreed on between the Moynalty representative and Mr. Curran at the last meeting, certainly the Gaels have a grievance. Mr. Curran said he was under the impression that it was to be played in Carlanstown, afterwards he heard it was to be played in Moynalty. The chairman said there was only two miles between the places and he did not think there should be any claim for expenses. The matter dropped.