Meath Hill AFL 1-10 1-09 St. Michaels
3rd February 2019
Meath Hill
ACFL Round 2


Sunday February 3rd 2019,
AFL Division 2, round 2

Full time: Meath Hill 1-10, St. Michaels 1-09,
Half time: Meath Hill 0-09, St. Michaels 0-01.

What looked like it was going to be joy for the St. Michaels lads turned to frustration in a matter of seconds in this division 2 encounter in Meath Hill on Sunday morning when the concession of a penalty in the third minute of injury time denied them their first brace of points in this campaign.

The Carlanstown Kilbeg combination will want to forget their opening half performance when a pointed free from Oran Meehan after he himself was grounded was all they could muster, but in fairness to the Meath Hill lads at least two of their players players would close down the St. Michaels men when they got on the ball resulting in turn-overs. In conditions that were as good as could be hoped for in February the home side went in front early scoring in the fourth minute and followed up with a further eight points (3f) to lead by 0-9 to 0-1 at the interval.
The second half was a different story however as the St. Michaels lads came out with renewed vigor, obviously looking to redeem their first half performance. The St. Michaels man of the match Peter O’Connell opened the half with two pointed frees and second half substitute Ciaran Lynch split the posts from play to reduce the deficit to five points, however the “Hill” added what was to be their only point of the half on 39 minutes to leave 6 points between the sides. Five minutes later a great lay-off from Lynch to O’Connell resulted in the latter blasting to the roof of the net to reduce the deficit to three points. O’Connell, Lynch and Meehan each added a point to level matters on 52 minutes and to transform the tie. The St. Michaels lads were now oozing confidence on the pitch and took on their rivals with a new found energy, running at them from all angles as Shane McDonnell pointed from play and Oran Meehan sent one over from a free for a two point cushion on 57 minutes. However the home side came back to steal their thunder as they kept plugging away and a high ball into the visitors square on 63 minutes resulted in a scramble and a foul was committed which resulted in a converted penalty which gave the home side both points.

St. Michaels team and scorers:
Darren O’Connell; Harry Dunne, Daithí O’Reilly, Alan Reilly; Christopher Drew, Paddy Clarke, Ben Reilly; Matthew Halpin, Shane McCormack; Paddy Tobin, Peter O’Connell (1-3, 2f), Lee Morris; Oran Meehan (0-3, 2f), Shane McDonnell (0-1), Ben Tobin.

Sub: Ciaran Lynch (0-2) for Ben Tobin 35minutes.

Referee: Gerard O’Brien (Wolfe Tones).
Report: Pascal Reilly PRO.