St. Michaels IFC 2-16 2-16 Syddan
20th April 2019
IFC in Meath Hill
IFC Round 2


Saturday April 20th 2019, IFC Group B, Round 2
Full time: St. Michaels 2-16, Syddan 2-16,
Half time: St. Michaels 1-07, Syddan 2-11.

One could sense a sigh of relief from both camps at the final whistle when this second round Intermediate Group B clash ended all square in the excellent facilities of Meath Hill on Saturday evening last, but if the truth be known, both sides will be ruing the fact that they had ample opportunities to collect both points especially Syddan who held a 9 point lead two minutes into the second period.

It was a goal 40 seconds into the game scored by the industrious Oran Meehan when he capitalized with a fisted finish from Shane McDonnell’s lofted delivery that opened the games scoring. However St. Michaels failed to build on that lead while Syddan were non perturbed by the score and by the tenth minute had posted four unanswered points to take the lead which they retained up to the 58th minute.

The first of Syddan’s brace of goals which both resulted from defensive errors in the St. Michaels goalmouth came on 25 minutes and the second quickly followed three minutes later for a 2-10 to 1-7 lead. Shane McCormack, Christopher Drew and Ciaran Lynch added early points for St. Michaels. Lynch was first to react when a Paddy Clarke effort came back off the upright on 24 minutes, McCormack and Ray Reilly posted two further points before the short whistle, however it was the men in green and gold who held a commanding 2-11 to 1-7 interval lead.

The Syddan men won the throw-in and moved up-field to split the posts for their 12th minor, they added another point two minutes later for a 9 point advantage. Shane McCormack converted two St. Michaels frees to keep his side in touch but Syddan also converted a free to leave 8 points still separating the sides. The excellent Paddy Clarke found Davy Lynch in space and he fired over a mighty effort from 40m out for a 7 point game. Then came the games turning point, Syddan lost their no 12, Patrick Farrelly to a red card and the wheels fell off their wagon, Ciaran Lynch then lofted a high effort between the posts before that man Oran Meehan blasted to the corner of the net for the second time to reduce Syddan’s advantage to just 3 points. The introduction of Paddy Tobin and the outstanding work rate of Davy Lynch, Paddy Clarke and Lee Morris paid dividends for the St. Michaels lads as another Davy Lynch effort from play and two frees from McCormack levelled the match on 52 minutes. St. Michaels were now in full control with Clarke, Morris, Meehan and Davy Lynch causing havoc for the Syddan defence however their tendency to over elaborate in their build up play wasn’t always their best policy as they sent a series of scoreable efforts wide of the posts and got turned over on several occasions however Syddan failed to capitalize on their mistakes as they went 29 minutes of the second half without raising a flag.
Shane McDonnell combined with Ciaran Lynch for his 4
th point before he sent over his and his sides final score of the match to go two in front with 2 minutes of normal time remaining. Syddan dug deep and a point from a free in the first minute of injury time gave them a slim lifeline and with the final kick of the ball in the 3rd minute of added time they drew level much to the relief of their management and supporters. St. Michaels management and supporters would have taken a draw at half time, but deep down they’ll know they should have left Meath Hill with both points.

St. Michaels team and scorers:
Darren O’Connell; Ciaran O’Reilly, Sam Briody, Daithí O’Reilly; Paddy Clarke, Christopher Drew (0-1) Ben Reilly; David Lynch (0-2), Matthew Halpin; Oran Meehan (2-1), Lee Morris, Ray Reilly (0-1); Shane McCormack (0-6, 5f), Shane McDonnell, Ciaran Lynch (0-5 1f).

Subs: Harry Dunne for C. O’Reilly, Paddy Tobin for D. O’Reilly, C. Sheridan for R. Reilly, C. O’Reilly for Lee Morris (BC).

Referee: Bernard Heaney
Report: Pascal Reilly PRO.