By kind permission of Conall Collier, Sports Editor of The Meath Chronicle.

MAY 19th 1979
Martry 0-12, Kilbeg 1-5.
Though playing against the wind in the opening half, Martry led by 0-8 to 0-2 at the break and went on to deservedly defeat Kilbeg in the final of the Fortune Motors tournament at Martry on Sunday. Points from Bill Mullins and Jim Browne gave them an early lead and with David Bartley, Sean Bennett, Dan Dennehy, Ollie Martin, Mullins, Martin Grealish, Joe Tallon, Tom Browne, Noel Clarke and Sean Hannon in top form Martry remained in control throughout. Padraig Rogers, Oliver Cassidy, Padraig Cassidy and Sean Smyth showed up best for the losers.
Scorers: Martry – B. Mullins (0-8), J. Browne, F. Browne, S. Hannon and F. Carey (0-1 each)
Kilbeg – O. Cassidy (1-2) and P. Rogers (0-3).
Martry –   D. Bartley, D. Dennehy, O. Martin, J. Fitzsimons, N. Clarke, S. Bennett, T. Murphy, N, Moore, M. Greelish, J. Tallon, B. Mullens, S. Hannon, F. Carey, T. Browne, J. Browne.
Kilbeg – S. MacGabhainn, G. MacCormaic, S. MacGaffeny, C. O’Cunnabhainn, G. O’Casaide, E. O’Raighaithe, S. MacCormaic, P. O’Casaide, P. O’Ruaine, S. O’Rualne, P. O’Casaide, O. O’Casaide, A. O’Casaide, S. O’Casaide. B. O’Casaide.

JULY 15th 1978

(In field kindly given by Mr. Paul Finnegan) Commencing at 1.30 pm.
Events include: Tug-o-War (open) Children’s Races: Tots Race under-6 Boys and Girls Races under 10, 12, 14. Mothers and Fathers Race, Bonny Baby Competition
Featuring at 3 pm. Junior Football Match CORMEEN v. MARTRY (For magnificent set of plaques).
Numerous side shows.
Adm. 50p. Children Free. No Hawkers

SEPTEMBER 2nd 1967

Kilbeg G.F.C. held a very successful sports in Kilbeg when a large attendance enjoyed the various events. One of the main attractions was a ladies football match which provided spells of interesting fare. Dulane the stronger side, gave a great display in defeating a good Kilmainhamwood team.
In the Tully Cup competition, Gibstown beat Simonstown. The club wishes to thank all those who helped to make the sports a success, especially Mr. Paul Finnegan who lent the field.
Boys under 16: 1 Padraig Cassidy (Horath); 2, Patrick Gillespie (Clooney). Boys under 14: 1, Tom Reilly (Newtown); 2, Seamus Carolan (Cruicetown). Boys under 12: 1, Seamus Carolan (Cruicetown); 2, Jim Reilly (Newtown).
Girls under 14; 1, Ann Donegan (Moynalty); 2, Marie Reilly (Clooney). Girls under 12: 1, Helen Farrelly (Ardamagh); 2 Marie Monaghan (Horath)
Mothers race: 1, Mrs. Meehan (Horath); 2, Mrs. McGillick (Ardlonan). Fathers race: 1, Frank Cassidy (Possextown); 2, Patrick Curran (Togherstown).
AUGUST 21st 1965
Ballinlough Step-Up On Recent Form

Ballinlough stepped up considerably on recent form when beating Kilbeg by 4-8 to 1-2 in a junior football “B” championship game at Kells.
Much the stronger side, the Kilskyre parish men, after an indifferent start, dominated the lively exchanges for most of the way and were, hardly flattered by their margin of victory.
Kilbeg were the architects to a degree of their own eclipse. They adopted the strategy of mixing it with their more doughty opponents with disastrous results . Had they played the field and refused to be drawn into the “man-for-man” brand of football which suited the opposition admirably, the final tally might have read more kindly towards them. As it was, the Kilbeg men, who displayed commendable enthusiasm throughout were lucky that the marksmanship of their opponents was definitely not so “hot” for long spells— they had sixteen wides for the hour. All credit must go however to the ultimate losers, who are a young and promising side, for a spirited display in a game which their “never-say-die” spirit made most entertaining and at times exciting.
Ballinlough still in the hunt for divisional honours, looked a well balanced side with plenty of punch in their attack whose finishing on many occasions, however, was not impressive. In a Ballinlough defence which was never overworked, P. McCabe, S. Jordan and M. Nulty were always prominent. T. Nulty and V. Lynch were hard-working midfielders and S. Flood, V. O’Shea and F. Reilly shone in attack. N. Mitchell had several good saves to his credit between the Kilbeg sticks and J. McEntee, P. Cassidy and J. Smith were the pick of an overworked defence. E. McGillick and J. Cassidy tried hard at centre-field. S. Connolly, S. McEnroe and O. Tormey had their moments in attack.
Marksmen for Ballinlough were: V. O’Shea (1-3). T. McDonnell (1-1). F . Reilly and V. Lynch (1-0 each), S . Flood (0-2). T. Nulty and L. Keogh (0-1 each). J. Connolly (1-0) and S. McEnroe (0-2) replied for the losers.
Ballinlough— M. McDonnell: J. Melia. P. McCabe, L. Cahill: S. Nulty. L. Keogh; T. Nulty, S. Jordan, S. Flood, V. O’Shea, F. Reilly, E. Flood, T. McDonnell. Subs: T. Flood for McDonnell, E. Farrelly for E. Flood.
Kilbeg— N. Mitchell, J. Meehan, T. McGillick, J. McEntee, P. Cassidy. J. Thompson, J. Smith; E. McGillick, J. Cassidy, S. Connolly, S. Munroe, J. Jackson, T. Carolan, O. Tormey, S. Gaffney. Sub: T. Tighe for Gaffney.
Mr. T. Lynch (Colmcille Gaels) refereed.
DECEMBER 4th 1965
Kilbeg G.F.C. will hold its second annual dinner dance in Dunaree House Hotel.
Kingscourt, on Wednesday night, of next week. Music will be supplied by Mick Kearney band. Tickets (£1) can be obtained from any member of the club.
MAY 6th 1950.
Dunderry 2-8, Kilbeg 2-3.
St. Marys ( Kilbeg ) caught a tartar at the Park in Kells on Sunday when they were beaten by Dunderry in the Feis Cup competition by 2-8 to 2-3. The football was below championship standard. Dunderry were the steadier side and they deserved their victory. A well balanced team they showed better combination. Playing with the wind in the first half, Dunderry did not impress sufficiently well to suggest that they would be able to hold the opposition after the resumption. To this writer’s surprise however, Kilbeg failed to produce the fireworks of which they hold the copyright. They certainly put in a characteristic ‘whirlwind’ finish, but they were a team of individuals – and they paid the penalty. The Dunderry defence stood up well to hectic pressure and for the greater part of the hour had the Kilbeg attack pretty well in hands. Exploiting the wings at every opportunity the Dunderry attack was difficult to subdue while the midfield struggle ebbed and flowed the winners had a hero here too. Possibly the biggest single factor in Kilbeg’s defeat was the failure of Rooney to strike his best form. Normally a match winner, the losers centre-half contented himself with boxing passes to colleagues whose bunching tactics played into the hands of an alert defence. Were it not for the magnificent opportunism of Peter Cassidy, the Kilbeg attack would have shown up in poor light indeed, Cassidy got two goals that were classics of their kind. Both came from very awkward angles and both were boxed goals, the ball flashing into the net on each occasion as if it had come from a foot. Dunderry’s half-back line proved a formidable stumbling block in the opposing attack, Heary, D. Loughran and Hilliard rendering good accounts of themselves. W. Loughran in the centre half-back berth opened up the attack cleverly. Noel Giles was in sparkling mood behind his able partner. Rogers, Coogan in the left corner displayed as much courage as a player twice his size and was extremely hard to keep under control. Cregan was a very sound full back. Deignan, Newman and Fitzsimons also did well. Stanley between the sticks, saved a penalty. J. Greene at left full-back was Kilbeg’s outstanding defender. Hughie McEnroe showed versatility by playing full-back in the first half and full-forward in the second. He did very well in both berths. T. Collins held his own when he changed places with McEnroe. Peter Cassidy, Paddy Kiernan, Patrick Cassidy, Rooney and Curran were about the pick of the others.
Playing with the wind, Dunderry scored in the first few minutes, T. Newman raising the white flag neatly. Good play by Noel Giles and W. Loughran let Coogan in for a minor and then Fitzsimons notched a point from far out following a clever and speedy hand-passing movement in which he, Loughran, Giles, Rogers and S. Newman participated. In a swift Kilbeg raid, T. Collins was pulled down when he had the goal at his mercy. From the resultant penalty, Rooney skied the ball over the bar for his side’s first score. Rogers nullified this from a free. A magnificent shot from the wing by T. Newman was stopped at the upright by Reilly but Rogers finished into the net to leave the half-time score:-
Dunderry 1-4, Kilbeg 0-1.
Dunderry went further ahead when from a Rogers free, S. Newman landed a soft goal. After Kilbeg had forced two abortive “50’s”, Giles sent over a centre which was boxed over the bar by Heary. Rooney initiated a hectic Kilbeg offensive, O’Connell placing McEnroe whose shot struck the cross-bar before rebounding over for a minor. After another fruitless Kilbeg “50” Rogers pointed from a free. Smith, O’Connell and McEnroe handled in a Kilbeg raid and Cassidy boxed McEnroe’s parting effort with terrific force into the net. Dunderry forced a “50” which came to naught and then Kilbeg were awarded a penalty. Cassidy’s kick was splendidly saved by Reilly, though Greene, who had moved up from the defence neatly returned to the net. Rooney reduced the lead with a point from a free but Rogers nullified this score, also from a free, Peter Cassidy had his second boxed goal. Des Loughran had the final score – a point from a free,
Dunderry 2-8, Kilbeg 2-3.
Kilbeg: M. Reilly, J. Greene, H. McEnroe, S. Gaffney, J. Kearney, P. Kiernan, J. Collins, J. Smith, P. Cassidy, L. Kearney, D. Rooney, R. O’Connell, J. Curran, T. Collins, P. Cassidy,
Dunderry: L. Stanley, J. McCormack, A. Cregan, E. Deignan, D. Loughran, W. Heary, M. Hilliard, T. Newman, J. Fitzsimons, N. Giles, W. Loughran, J. Heary, R. Rogers, S. Newman, J. Coogan.
Mr. P. Ratty (Navan) refereed.
SEPTEMBER 8th 1945:
North Meath Divisional Board Fixture – At Kilmainhamwood on Sunday next, September 9th, final of the North Meath Division, Kilbeg v Meath Hill : time 3-30; referee Joe Maguire.
SEPTEMBER 8th 1945:
A NEEDLE GAME – Meath Hill and Kilbeg meet next Sunday in Kilmainhamwood in the junior football divisional final. As a venue, Kilmainhamwood has come to be recognized as attracting the largest and most orderly crowds in Meath and the arrangements for the matches there as such as to reflect credit on the GAA. Next Sunday’s match will be a needle affair. The parish of Kilbeg has two teams – Carlanstown in the Intermediate section has won its final and now the other team, or the Kilbeg end of the parish say they are determined to achieve the double by taking the junior title, but Meath Hill have something different to say. We have two County Councillors in opposition, Hughie McEnroe for Kilbeg and Willie Cunningham for Meath Hill. They sit on the one side of the house as public representatives but they have a sharp division of opinion in a sporting way as to whether Meath Hill or Kilbeg take the football palm, Sunday’s game will settle that. Meath Hill will be represented by a pick from – P. Keelan, M. Keelan, Hugh Keelan, F. McKenna, J. Ward, B. McGuire, P. McGuire, Sean McGuire, T. Tighe, M. O’Dea, P. Keelan, William Cunningham, B. McCabe, J. McCabe, A. McGuire, Matt Nulty, J. Farrelly, J. Boyle.
Kilbeg will be represented by a pick from – B. Greene, J. Greene, M. Greene, P. Brien, M. Brien, M. Clarke, G Cassidy, F. Farrell, B. Ferritier, T. McGivern, W. Hughes, T. Timmons, M. Reilly, Peter Reilly, P. Reilly, J. Galligan, P. Galligan, P. Dunbar, J. Brady, J. Duignan, A.N. Other, P. McEnroe, H. McEnroe.
SEPTEMBER 15th 1945:
Kilbeg 0-8, Meath Hill 1-6.
In one of the most interesting and best contested divisional finals in recent years, Meath Hill, by defeating Kilbeg by 1-6 (9) to 0-8 at Kilmainhamwood on Sunday and qualified for the semi-final of the Meath Junior Championship. It was only in the last few minutes of the game that the winners, displaying greater stamina, took the lead with a point which they held to the final whistle. Kilbeg were courageous losers and although their forwards flitted away numerous opportunities in both periods, they played wholeheartedly throughout. Meath Hill against a slight breeze, pressed during the first ten minutes and were rewarded with two points. Kilbeg took up the running, levelled and went ahead by four points. A solo run by P. McGuire led to a major score which left Meath Hill only a point in arrears at the interval 0-6 to 1-2. Peter Brien Kilbeg was injured and retired. In the second half Meath Hill started off in a brisk style and were level at seven points each. Kilbeg retaliated for a long spell but without result, Meath Hill resumed the attack and Sean McGuire pointed from long range. A dangerous solo run by Eugene McEnroe was nipped in the bud by Matt Nulty who played a clever game. A free to Kilbeg was pointed by P.J. McEnroe leaving the teams level again at eight points each. With the excitement at fever pitch, Tighe, taking the shortest path to goal was fouled and Patrick Keelan, from the subsequent free sent over the bar for the winning score. Hugh McEnroe and his men deserved a draw which would have been a most popular result. Five McGuire’s played for Meath Hill and three McEnroe’s played for Kilbeg.
OCTOBER 13th 1945:
Kilbeg 3-9, Killeen 0-4.
Both teams had large followings at Pairc Tailteann, Navan on Sunday where Kilbeg easily disposed of Killeen by 3-9 to 0-4 in a junior football encounter. The winners undoubtedly were the better combination but lack of understanding between Killeen’s front line cost scores galore. In the second half, when Kilbeg turned over with a lead of 0-5 to 0-3, the losers raided the opposing goal area repeatedly to be repelled again and again by the McEnroe’s who were at the top of their form and clearing with great length. In the first minute Melia pointed from a free but P. McEnroe (2) and Hugh McEnroe followed up with three points in quick succession for Kilbeg. Plunkett had another point for Killeen before the short whistle. H. McEnroe added two points to Kilbeg’s score while Reilly had Killeen’s third point.
Half time: Kilbeg 0-5, Killeen 0-3.
In the second moiety, Kilbeg redoubled their efforts and some fine work was accomplished by Teeling, who was outstanding throughout the hour. The brothers McEnroe however, defended cleverly, and although there were opportunities but Killeen did not avail of them to score. P. McEnroe had an early point and the same player in a Kilbeg rush, added a major. Plunkett then had Killeen’s solitary point in this half. Excepting a goal near the end of the game, the McEnroe brothers got the additional Kilbeg scores. There was a short stoppage when a Killeen supporter ran on to the field. He was hurt by a Kilbeg player but on receiving attention from the First Aid people present, he left the pitch. The game was over robust on it’s closing stages.
Final score: Kilbeg 3-9, Killeen 0-4.
Kilbeg: B. Greene, H. McEnroe, J. Greene, P. Cassidy, P. Reilly, W. Hughes, T. McGivern, P. Brien, M. Clarke, M. Reilly, E. McEnroe, P. Reilly, J. Brady, P. McEnroe.
Killeen: M. Brabazon, O. Smith, J. Walls, P. Rorke, J. Flynn, E. Teeling, L. Dunphy, P. Reilly, T. Melia, J. Plunkett, J. Flynn, M. Flynn, J. Maher, T. Brabazon, T. Murphy.
Mr. J. Shiels, Seneschalstown, refereed.
MARCH 24th 1934.
Kilbeg scored an impressive victory over Moynalty in the first round of the Junior Football Championship at Carnaross on St. Patrick’s Day. True, Moynalty was short at least two of their regular team but even with those, the margin might have been less but the result would be the same. Kilbeg, as already stated, promises to be a hard nut to crack in this year’s championship, even though they have, as yet, many faults. The greatest of these faults is hanging on too long to the ball and too much passing by their forwards when close in, thus giving the opposing defence plenty of time to steady itself. If they do not want to meet “an early Waterloo” they will need to take a leaf from Napoleon’s book and always try to “surprise the enemy”—a tip that is as useful on the football field as in the field of battle. Mr. Farrell Tully re-forced and his task was, thanks to the players themselves of the easiest description. Playing against the wind, Kilbeg were the first to attack and Stephen Clarke struck the upright with a line shot. The Moynalty backs cleared but Kilbeg soon opened the scoring with a goal. Kilbeg continued to press and P. Reilly pointed, while Peter McEnroe added two further points. The same player added a third point from a penalty. Moynalty were however working hard and in a breakaway O’Brien sent a long shot which deceived the Kilbeg goalman and a goal resulted. Kilbeg retaliated for McEnroe to add a point before half-time, with the score standing:— Kilbeg—1-5, Moynalty—1-0. Kilbeg were now favoured with a strong breeze and their forwards proceeded to pepper the Moynalty posts, Fitzsimons added a point for Kilbeg soon after resumption, Tully added a goal for Kilbeg from a free. Scores continued to come slowly but John Smith however, added a brace of points before the final whistle.
Result:— Kilbeg—2-8. Moynalty—1-0.
MARCH 24th 1934
Following their victory over Moynalty at Carnaross on St. Patrick’s Day, Kilbeg travelled to Mullaghea on Sunday where they met the Carnaross team in a friendly challenge match. The game was well contested and some nice football was witnessed. A draw eventuated, each side scoring three points. Mr. Hand was a capable referee.
JUNE 20th 1936.
At Cross Guns on Sunday, the chief attraction was the clash of Martry and Kilbeg in the Senior Football Championship. Martry need no introduction as the drawer of good “gates” while Kilbeg’s display against Donaghmore seemed to presage an exciting encounter with plenty of skilful football. The morning rain had cleared sufficiently to attract a big gathering. The ground while equal to both could have been better and it could be noticed that any bout of football, and they were rare, took place on the leveller portion of the pitch, on the sides further from the road. Keen disappointment was evident when it was learned that Kilbeg were fielding short six or seven of the usual side, including Patrick and Peter McEnroe and McGivney. Martry, too, seemed to have a re-organised team and included Christy Coogan ( heaven help the writer if he is mixing them up ) in the new role, to the writer anyway, of full back. The match was lost to Kilbeg due to their forwards not being able to cope with the Martry defence in which Coogan and Coffey were prominent. On the other hand, Hugh McEnroe, valiant though he played could not cope with all the Coogan brothers, amongst whom Tommy had a regular field day. Dick Cassidy was sound but however his merits as a centre field man or forward may be argued his place in the backs. No less prominent was his brother Peter. On the whole, play was not good and this can, perhaps, be attributed to the defections in the losing side.
During the game the referee found it necessary to have a few spectators removed from the field. Some blows were exchanged between players and it was noticed that this took place when the enthusiasm ran highest among the spectators. M. Farrelly handled the whistle.
The teams lined out as follows:

John Coogan, T. Coogan, Thomas Coogan, William Coogan, Charles Coogan, Thomas Quinn, Patrick Smith, John Bennett, Thomas Reilly, D. McLoughlin, J. Newman, S, Rennicks, F. Corrigan, T. Million and J. Coffey.

R. Cassidy, P. Cassidy, T. Ginnity, P. Reilly, J. Clinton, J. Smith, John Smith, J. Curran, B. Clarke, H. McEnroe, T. Galligan, P. Fitzsimons, P. Reilly, J. Watters and J. O’Connell.
Kilbeg were first to break away and had a wide. Jack Coogan and Corrigan made ground and Tommy Coogan opened the scoring with a point off a free. Newman returned the delivery but McEnroe cleared. Dick Cassidy had a solo run before Martry came back for a wide.
Peter Cassidy was putting in nice work in the Kilbeg defence and set Kilbeg attacking for Clarke to notch a minor. Newman relieved for Martry and the Coogan’s were seen to advantage before a hold up near the goal by a Kilbeg infringement. The kick was wide . The delivery was returned by Jack Coogan for a point. An infringement let Martry in for another point by Tommy Coogan. Tommy and Jack Coogan had a passing bout out on the right wing but the ball was sent wide. Peter Cassidy had a long punt and was back to clear again, intercepting from Tommy Coogan. Against expectations, Kilbeg were going great guns but were spoiling by too frequent fouling. A free to Kilbeg was cleared and with a rush Martry were back for Smith to earn applause with a flying save. At this stage excitement ran high and a few spectators had to be removed from the pitch. Following consultation the referee agreed to continue the game. On resumption, Martry had a point per Tommy Coogan. Again Tommy Coogan sent in but the forwards were wanting. Kilbeg made ground with a free per McEnroe. Martry returned but the ball was placed in McEnroe’s hands. Jack Coogan and Corrigan sent in but McEnroe cleared and a minute later he repeated from Jack Coogan. Reilly and Cassidy were prominent for Kilbeg who were wide from a free. Corrigan and Million brought up and placed their forwards in possession but the ball was wide. McEnroe again broke up a Martry raid and transferred play with Clarke sending well down. The Kilbeg forwards were weak.
Half time found the score: Martry—0-4, Kilbeg—0-1.
On resumption, Dick Cassidy sent in but the Martry defence was good. Smith sent in but Coogan, in the Martry defence cleared. A free relieved for Martry. Kilbeg had the territorial advantage so far in the moiety. Martry then came with a rush. Kilbeg saved at the expense of a free and Tommy Coogan added the point. Dick Cassidy sent in on the transference of play but Coffey was sound. Dick Cassidy was wide before Quinn sent down. Martry were badly wide. Peter Reilly sent up from the delivery but the Kilbeg forwards were not able to cope with the Martry defence. Martry were again wide. Kilbeg played back but Coffey was an effective stumbling block. Willie Coogan was injured and retired. He was replaced by John Murray. A free to Martry by Tommy Coogan went all the way for a minor. Another free close in to Martry added one more point to Tommy Coogan’s bag. A free held up for Kilbeg but Martry were back in a flash but were wide. McEnroe and Curran brought up but Christy Coogan was sound. Further pressure saw Coffey and Coogan take advantage. Tommy Coogan pointed a few minutes to long whistle which found the score:
Martry—0-8, Kilbeg—0-1

Before the senior encounter at Cross Guns on Sunday, Rathbran had a walk over from Syddan who failed to field a team.
Martry juniors defeated a depleted Kilbeg side on a score Martry 3-5, Kilbeg 0-2.
M. Farrelly refereed.


In 1936 Kilbeg formed a senior team, which in 1937 amalgamated with St. Marys Moynalty who went on to win the S.F.C. and the Feis Cup in the same year. The following is the report from The Meath Chronicle dated Saturday November 6th 1937.
Defeat Castletown in Virtual Final
St. Marys 4-2, Castletown 0-1.
Nobber was the centre of attraction in the Gaelic arena on Sunday, where St. Marys and Castletown crossed hands in their senior championship tie. The moderate attendance present was treated to a splendid game of top class football and St. Marys by their victory are put in an unassailable position at the top of the table thus becoming champions of Meath by emerging victorious from all games with full points. Castletown took the field full of confidence determined in being the first in lowering the flying colours of St. Marys. They gave a credible display and made a gallant bid to take the points. The game was clean, hard fought with plenty of robust tackling and athletic play. Both teams were evenly matched and the game kept the spectators interested throughout. Although the score was in favour of St. Marys, Castletown may be deemed unlucky in not having secured more scores. The game was more evenly contested than the score would indicate and it was not until the last ten minutes that St. Marys displayed their superiority. It was at this period that Castletown appeared to weaken. Castletown were first away and Curtis had a wide. St. Marys returned and after a series of wides, owing to a lack of cohesion on the part of their forwards. McEnroe opened the scoring with a goal, they then piled on a goal and a point and turned over with a handsome lead. With Castletown seven points in arrears Cummins opened up play after resuming and it looked as if the gallant Castletown lads would penetrate the St. Marys defence and pull the game out of the fire, but McEnroe and Cassidy proved too much of an obstacle for the alert forwards to rush through, and so St. Marys went on to score and take the 1937 championship after emerging victorious in all games. This is a remarkable achievement on their part for they recently won the Feis Cup. The winners are to be congratulated in winning the championship and deserve more credit for it being their first year in the senior ranks as it was only lately that this club was formed. Castletown on the other hand are to be congratulated on giving such a magnificent display, and with teams such as those in the county the success for the GAA for the future is assured. St. Marys were best served by Cassidy in the full back berth, who beat off many dangerous raids, Hugh McEnroe, right full, proved a stumbling block for the Castletown forwards. Gilsenan who continually fed the front line with the ball, the brothers McEnroe in the front line who proved great opportunists and Mick Clinton who was always on the alert to obtain a score. Phil Clarke was the outstanding figure in the Castletown defence and was ably supported by Fox. Wall in the half back line brought down many high balls and Timmons gave a delightful exhibition. The midfield honours went to the Castletown lads – Cummins and Donegan, it was delightful to see Cummins go about his work. He continually opened opened up play for his forwards and was an untiring worker. Carry secured their only score, a minor in the second moiety and his effort was loudly applauded after a great solo run. Curtis in at full forward made many attempts to break through and Smith was always dangerous. On the whole the game was splendidly fought out in in the real spirit with plenty of thrilling moments and the fair crowd present was treated to one of the best games ever witnessed.
With a cross wind blowing Castletown were first away, Cummins centring well but Curtis sent it wide. St. Marys returned to send wide per P. McEnroe. Cummins again opened up play for Castletown but Cassidy cleared and H. McEnroe sent well up-field to Clinton who drove wide. P. McEnroe again missed when well placed. Castletown collected, Wall driving one in to Timmons but Cassidy came o the rescue and effected a timely clearance. Castletown were going great guns at this stage and outplayed the opposition. They went about their work in fine style and pressed continually. Play veered round and P. McEnroe was fouled but failed to point the free. Sustained pressure from St. Marys saw P. Clarke concede a “50” in an effort to clear, which Fox saved. Peter McEnroe was fouled close in and centred the free to his brother Paddy who drove a dandy of a shot all the way to the net for the opening score. Castletown fought in resolute fashion, Donegan placing Timmons in possession but a wide resulted. Cassidy raced away from the kick-out and parted to Gilsenan who was fouled, Peter McEnroe pointed the free. Cummins and Wall initiated a Castletown movement but the strong St. Marys defence in which Hugh McEnroe and Cassidy were prominent, denied all attacks. St. Marys came back aided by a free and P. McEnroe forced a “50” which was beaten off by Fox. Gilsenan again sent in and Pat McEnroe boxed to the net to give St. Marys a substantial lead. Meehan changed the venue with a long kick and Cummins and Donegan combined well but McGivney was quick to intercept and cleared in brilliant fashion. Wall was wide shortly afterwards. Clinton got possession from a delivery and St. Marys swarmed to the attack but the great defence of Phil Clarke and Fox brought relief. Play was furious at this stage with both teams showing great determination and although the score was in favour of St. Marys, Castletown were putting up a stiff resistance. Wall put Castletown attacking from a free but play was held up due to H. McEnroe being injured but resumed. Cummins got possession from the hop and let Donegan away but Carry failed to score when well placed. Malone got a delivery and transferred play with a long drive but owing to faulty forward work, a wide resulted. Exchanges were at centre field at this period where some thrilling duels took place between Cummins and Gilsenan. Donegan put Castletown again on the offensive but Dick Cassidy once again to a well tested St. Marys defence. Malone and Clinton raced away and parted to Gilsenan who tested Farrelly with a fist shot but the latter was sound and drove well out of danger. Meehan was called upon to save shortly afterwards. St. Marys continued to attack but the Castletown defence offered a stubborn resistance. Play veered round and Cary drove wide, Cassidy saved from Curtis and McEnroe placed Clinton who made ground with a long drive but Clarke was to the fore at the other end and effected a timely clearance. Both sides were visited before the short whistle sounded but no further score was registered and the half time figures stood :-
St. Marys – 2-1
Castletown – Nil
Castletown had the best of the exchanges after resuming, Cummins driving well up but Cassidy returned, Wall again sent in well but Sheerin missed narrowly. H. McEnroe started a dangerous movement but was stopped by Cummins and Wall and Malone sent out of danger. St. Marys pressed, McGivney passing to Gilsenan but once again P. Clarke proved his worth in the Castletown defence when effecting a timely clearance. Cummins opened up play and Donegan sent to the square but Cassidy cleared when hard pressed. Play veered round and Fox checked a St. Marys advance. Smith and Carry fought back and Duffy forced a “50” which Wall drove wide. Ginnity put St. Marys on the offensive but a wide resulted. A free brought relief to a well rested Castletown defence but Gilsenan returned and Pat McEnroe boxed narrowly wide after a great effort. Fox cleared from Gilsenan but M. Clinton got possession and lobbed a high ball to the net for the opening score of this moiety. A further attack was beaten off by Cummins, St. Marys again pressed and Farrelly between the sticks was called upon to save. A free by P. McEnroe was sent narrowly wide by Clinton. At this stage St. Marys were getting the upper-hand and were continually on the offensive.
Castletown returned and launched an unsuccessful attack, Duffy sending narrowly wide, a further attack was also beaten off after Cummins struck the post. Clinton got in some good work in the St. Marys defence and McEnroe raced away but sent wide. Meehan cleared from Clinton but McEnroe returned to net after Farrelly made desperate efforts to clear. M. Clinton shot wide soon afterwards, exchanges were at centre field at this stage where Cummins was seen to advance and placed Donegan, who drove wide. Gilsenan again let St. Marys away and Malone and Clinton handled in turn before Wall cleared to touch. Gilsenan and Malone combined well and parted to P. McEnroe who crowned a neat movement for a point. McGivney drove in but Wall covered up and Carry raced away to draw first blood for Castletown with a point.
Encouraged by this success the Castletown forwards again swarmed to attack and the St. Marys castle was in danger when Curtis drove inches wide. Play veered round and St. Marys had a period of attack but failed to score. Fox saved from Sheridan but McGinnity sent well in to Clinton who missed narrowly. Cummins got possession from the delivery and combined well with Donegan but Hugh McEnroe intercepted and cleared in fine style. A free to Castletown was well taken by Wall and Clarke receiving possession drove in to St. Marys territory but once again the reliable Cassidy cleared amid applause. St. Marys pressed but met with stiff opposition and Clark in the full back berth cleared time and time again. Castletown appeared to weaken at this stage and St. Marys attacked to the end but failed to score after Gilsenan and McEnroe made great efforts. The long whistle sounded leaving St. Marys victorious on the scores :-
St. Marys – 4-2,
Castletown – 0-1

St. Marys – M. Gilsenan, R. Cassidy, P. Cassidy, H. McEnroe, Peter McEnroe, Pat McEnroe, Jim Smith, John Smith, M. Clinton, T. Clinton, P. McGivney, M. Clarke, C. Sheridan, T. McGinnity, J. Malone.
Castletown – T. Farrelly, P. Clarke, P. Fox, T. Meehan, T. Wall, T. Timmons, T. Sheerin, J. Cummins, A. Donegan, J. Timmons, P. Duffy, E. Smith, T. Curtis, M. Carry, M. Clarke.
Mr. R. Mulligan, Nobber, handled the whistle and gave general satisfaction.
SEPTEMBER 5th 1936
To get over unpleasantness first: We had fifty-five minutes of highly interesting football at Greetiagh on Sunday and we had five minutes of as ugly a row as it has been our misfortune to see in a Gaelic arena. The teams were Kilmessan and Kilbeg. Neither was at full strength but they served up a stirring fare in the first half. Then, for some unaccountable reason the storm broke five minutes after the resumption and blows were exchanged in a most promiscuous manner. People would say that even the boot was used. We should say so ourselves, but we refuse to believe our eyes. Outsiders rushed the pitch and the scene was disgraceful, indeed disgusting. Referee Willie Smith handled the situation sternly and properly by sending five players to the sideline. He could have sent a few more had he been able to identify them in the mix-up. The players sent to the side-line were Joe Loughran, Jim Maguire and K. Farrell of the Kilmessan side and James Curran and Smyth of the Kilbeg side. Mr. Sean Newman, Chairman of the Co. Committee, and several other members of that body were present and helped to restore order. The game was resumed without these five and finished quite calmly. Just another unpleasant thing. The An Uaimh Gaels were billed to meet Tallaghanstown at Greetiagh in the intermediate competition. They didn’t. Tallaghanstown had a walk-over. Would it be possible in future to let the public know through the local press where and when these walks-over are to be conceded.
So much for the unpleasantness. We have now something pleasant to say. The pitch was nicely enclosed, well mown, in lovely surroundings, and the stewards kept the lines intact with a gentle suasion which was quite effective before and after the row. They did their work well. More than that they recognised that the press is entitled to certain little courtesies such as a table and a chair. Well, we always found, in other ways as well as in games , that Bohermeen will do the right thing.

The game itself was quite sporting, with the inevitable exception, and worth going any distance to see. Kilmessan won by 1-6 to 0-2. Mr. Willie Smith refereed strictly and impartially and did his unpleasant duty when it was called for. The teams lined out as follows:—
A. Farrelly; T. Loughran, E. Teeling, T. Costello; B. Corrigan, P. Donnelly, J. Harford; Joe Loughran, T. Donnelly, B. Farrell; J. O’Neill, J. Maguire, B. Sheridan.

Kilbeg— John Smith; J. Curran, H. McEnroe, M. Brien; P. Reilly, Peter McEnroe, T. Galligan; T. Ginnity, J. Carolan; J. Smith, J. Timmons, Peter Cassidy; B. Brien, J. O’Connell, P. Fitzsimons.
Peter Reilly returned an early effort by Tony Donnelly and Ginnity sending further Smith had a chance but drove wide. When Cassidy was fouled Kilbeg lost another opportunity. Then Marmion and Joe Loughran burst away for Kilmessan and two frees, left the South men in Kilbeg territory. Smith, between the Kilbeg sticks saved Tony Donnelly’s shot and H. McEnroe had a long clearance. It was nice fast football and Kilbeg defended gallantly, Hugh McEnroe being roundly applauded for many brilliant efforts. That Kilbeg side proved that it is no paper combination. A shot by Joe Loughran was stopped by Hugh McEnroe and crossed over the line for a fifty which Paddy Donnelly placed accurately but in a melee a wide was signalled. On the clearance Ginnity was fouled. The free was returned and Kilbeg were mainly defending. Some very clever passing in which the two Donnelly’s and Joe Loughran participated left B. Farrell in possession and in a scrimmage in front of the posts a free was awarded to Kilmessan which Joe Loughran pointed. Paddy Donnelly was playing a great game in the Kilmessan half back line and Curran was prominent in the Kilbeg defence. Hugh and Peter McEnroe smashed a characteristic Loughran Donnelly advance but Tony finished the movement with a point. After Kilbeg had a brief period of attack following a midfield foul, Joe Loughran had a characteristic hand and toe run right through the field. Then he passed to Tony Donnelly who placed for Maguire who scored a goal. The delivery was returned and Tony Donnelly pointed. Kilbeg then broke away and a free in easy distance was pointed by Peter McEnroe. Good football was the order to the interval , the defences prevailing and the turn-over was effected with the scores reading:—
Kilmessan—1-3, Kilbeg—0-1.
Peter McEnroe broke away for Kilbeg on resuming but Teeling cleared cleverly and clearly. Play was at the other end when the row referred to took place and five players got their marching orders. On resumption Kilmessan had a point followed by two wides. Kilmessan kept up the pressure but Kilbeg held the fort very well. Play was quiet and it is to the credit of all of them that the intense excitement simmered down and they played football—what the crowd paid to see. Jack O’Neill was in scoring position when he was fouled and Tony Donnelly pointed the free. Kilbeg then worked back and Peter McEnroe got great distance into a shot from midfield against the breeze. A free to Kilbeg was driven wide. B. Farrell had a wide at the other end. When Galligan made all the distance he gave to O’Connell who crossed to the square. Teeling cleared and Hugh McEnroe sent back. Costello returned a free kick taken by Hugh McEnroe and the scene was quickly changed to the other end when O’Neill got possession and scored a neat point. Kilbeg burst away from the delivery and O’Connell forced a “50” Farrelly saved and fisted out and in the melee a wide eventuated. Kilbeg continued to press and Hugh McEnroe scored a point. A free from midfield to Kilbeg was beautifully placed by Peter McEnroe but the long whistle sounded almost immediately leaving Kilmessan victory on the scores :—
Kilmessan—1-6, Kilbeg—0-2.

SEPTEMBER 26th 1936
Erin’s Own and Kilbeg met in the senior Football Championship at Carnaross on Sunday. Both sides had difficulties in fielding teams but difficulties were overcome thanks to the sporting sense of supporters and a walk-over was avoided. Erin’s Own were short many of their regular side, Kilbeg were short Peter and Pat McEnroe, Gogarty, the two Cassidy’s, McGivney, Fitzsimons, Connell and Clinton. To field a team in such circumstances speaks well for the latent football ability in the district. A fine day favoured a game that must have given referee Paddy Mulvany, few uneasy moments.
From the throw-in the spirit of sport pervaded the play and for once this year, it was the writer’s privilege to witness a match in which a player did not lose his temper. Fouls were pleasingly few and then over mere technicalities. For Kilbeg, Hugh McEnroe, Ginnity and Smith were the pick of a team of triers. For Erin’s Own, Olohan, Flanagan, McCabe and Tormey were an enterprising scoring quartet. Fitzgerald was in fine scoring form and Christy Carry was the pivot of the whole combination. Pearse Tormey figured consistently among the scorers. Tom, Stephen and Tony Skelly played their usual game , as also did Paddy Flanagan. All acquitted themselves with credit, especially the newcomers who dealt efficiently with every situation. The big score does not reflect adversely on Kilbeg’s youthful newcomers who showed a spirit of tenacity that was most praiseworthy. The teams lined out as follows:—
Erin’s Own— C. Carry (capt.), John Olohan, J. Flanagan, P. Flanagan, Thomas Skelly, S. Skelly, A. Skelly, J. Lear, B. Rourke, John Rourke, William Fitzgerald, J. Allen, Pearse Tormey, A. Corrigan and Patrick McCabe.
John Smith, Thomas Ginnity, P Galligan, L. McCormack, P McCormack, P. Reilly R. Ginnity P. Curran, John Carolan, Hugh McEnroe, Charles Galligan, John Curran, Joseph Cassidy, T. Galligan and T. Curran.
Erin’s Own played off to the road goal with the wind. Peter Reilly had a good run but the movement finished in a wide. Jack Olohan and Joe Flanagan brought back from the delivery but the Kilbeg defence was sound. A free to Kells about fifty yards out was placed by Joe Flanagan to Tony Skelly who gave to Carry but McEnroe cleared for Kilbeg before before McCabe put through for a goal after three minutes play. Tony Skelly added a point inside the next minute. A free to Kilbeg set up an attack on the Kells goal but Christy Carry was to the good and changed venue per Paddy McCabe and the movement ended in a point from Fitzgerald. At the other end O’Rourke boxed over. Again Kells came back but McEnroe cleaned up in a decisive manner from the Kells forwards. Kilbeg were wide again. Getting from Flanagan Olohan sent from the right wing right in to Pearse Tormey who was waiting on the square and put Kells further in the lead with another goal. Carry sent in to Fitzgerald with an overhead kick and the latter notched a minor from about twenty five yards out. The same player had another minor on the return of the delivery and had hard luck with a similar move after the score was signalled. A goal by Olohan gave a commanding lead to the Kells side. Olohan sent in a high kick which was secured by Allen who had a point disallowed. Play was mainly at this time in the Kilbeg half. A free by Tom Skelly was cleared by Peter Reilly. Fitzgerald was again in the limelight with a point which he got when he had been put in possession after a brilliant passing bout by Flanagan, Olohan and McCabe. Another point followed from Stephen Skelly when Carry returned the delivery. A free realised a point per Olohan who put Kells once more on the offensive. Kilbeg changed the venue and were awarded a free, taken by Peter Reilly, it was all the way for a point to open Kilbeg’s tally after twenty three minutes play. Kells had several wides before they were awarded a fifty. Paddy Flanagan took the kick which Stephen Skelly gave to Christy Carry who pointed from far out. Peter Reilly was making ground on the right wing when he was fouled. The same player took the kick and Kilbeg were off and finished wide. Half-time found the score :—
Erin’s Own—3-8, Kilbeg—0-1.
On resumption Kilbeg broke away and McEnroe sent well in. Skelly cleared and transferred the play to the other end where Allen was wide. Kilbeg were wide and were then awarded a free which was got by McEnroe but Joe Flanagan intercepted and cleared. A fifty to Kilbeg, taken by Peter Reilly was cleared by Christy Carry. A free to Kilbeg from about thirty yards out, taken by McEnroe went all the way for a point. Ginnity placed a free for McEnroe who gave to Galligan but P. Flanagan broke up the movement. Smith in the Kilbeg defence cleared from Allen but Pearse Tormey sent Kells further ahead with a point. Smith was fouled in the goal mouth but Flanagan brought back and Carolan in the Kilbeg goal was found sound. A free to Kilbeg by Hugh McEnroe was cleared in a melee. Another free about forty yards out was taken by Reilly. Kells fouled and McEnroe made no mistake with the ensuing kick off the “fourteen”. At the other end Ginnity spoiled Flanagan and Tormey. McCormack gave to McEnroe who sent down but the Kells defence was sound. Further pressure from Kilbeg saw McEnroe fouled but the resulting free was abortive. Kells had another point before Kilbeg brought down. Reilly shot but Skelly cleared. Olohan had a point with a high kick. A goal per Pearse Tormey was followed by a free by Jack Rourke who st Kells attacking. A free spoiled as the long whistle went, leaving the final score :—
Erin’s Own—4-11, Kilbeg—0-3.

AUGUST 14th 1926
At Garlow Cross, Kilmessan beat Curraha by 7-3 to 1-3 in junior hurling; Slane beat Skryne by 3-8 to nil. At Kildalkey, Bective beat Kilskyre in junior hurling and Longwood beat Athboy by 4-3 to 1-3 in minor hurling.
At Kilbeg, Kilbeg beat Newcastle and Tierworker beat Ballinlough, both in junior football. At Nobber, Lobinstown beat Clongill in minor football.
AUGUST 14th 1920
This game, for the Junior 1919 Championship was started with fair promptitude, considering the distance the teams had to travel ( The Showgrounds Navan ), and well within the “half-hour’s grace.” Enfield won the toss and played to the town goal, with the wind and sun to their backs. Kilbeg had the best of the opening encounter, and had the white flag raised within a few minutes. From the goal kick, Enfield dashed down the field, and being awarded a free a short distance from the goal mouth, kicked too low and the shot was easily mastered. The attack continued, and some close shots were made for the goal, but all went wide. Kilbeg, from a free, were left attacking, but after a struggle Enfield brought the ball down by masterly passing and succeeded in equalising. Kilbeg then attacked and scored another point. Enfield then attacked and equalised from a free at the goal mouth. Another free to Enfield followed the kick out, and the shot was well directed, but well saved, the cross-bar being smashed. Another free to Enfield some time after resulted in another point. Following some decent wing play, Enfield were awarded another free and scored their fourth minor. Give and take play followed, and when the short whistle blew the scores were: Enfield— 4 points, Kilbeg— 2 points.

On resuming, Kilbeg attacked and sent apparently over the cross-bar and the white flag was raised, but the score was not allowed and the same thing occurred a few minutes afterwards. Kilbeg continued on the offensive, and after a short tussle scored a point. Play of a slow and dragging nature, up and down the field followed, in the course of which Enfield scored one point and Kilbeg another, leaving the final scores:
Enfield— 5 points. Kilbeg— 4 points.
Mr. Andy Geraghty Athboy, refereed to a satisfactory manner.
AUGUST 16th 1919
A small crowd of spectators turned up to witness the two Junior League football matches, Navan Harps v. Kilbeg Harps and Kilbeg Volunteers v Navan Gaels at Martry on last Sunday. The first game did not rouse much interest as it was quite evident Navan Harps were the superior team, and no scientific play was witnessed. The latter game however, was more lively. Kilbeg outclassed the Gaels in the first fifteen minutes, during which time they put 1 goal and 2 points to their credit. In the last half the play became exciting, especially when the Gaels equalised, but towards the end of the game the play became very rough. The tussles resulted in a win for both the Navan teams, the scores being:—
Navan Harps— 3 goals 8 points. Kilbeg Harps— 2 points.
And Navan Gaels— 3 goals 5 points. Kilbeg Volunteers— 2 goals 4 points.
AUGUST 23rd 1919

Next Sunday at Kilbeg:—
Kilbeg Volunteers v. Kilbeg Harps,
Junior Football League, at 2 (old time);
Kells St. Cols. v. Ballinlough at

SEPTEMBER 13th 1919.

(under the auspices of the Kilbeg Harps Football Club),
will be held at Moat Farmyard,
on Sunday night September 21st
Ladies 1 shilling, Gentlemen 2 shillings.


APRIL 3rd 1915
The Kilbeg Gaels will hold their annual celebration at Carlanstown on Sunday 11th April. There will be an aeridheacht ( entertainment in the open ) and two football games that those who patronise this now well established and popular outing should find the programme both ample and varied, given favourable weather, enjoy a pleasant afternoon in the company of the kindly and sport loving folk of Kilbeg, Carlanstown and Staholmog. Noted dancers and singers from the surrounding district will lend their assistance at the aeridheacht, and the Oristown Pipers Band will render some of their stirring marching airs. For the football, a first class pitch and teams of fairly good calibre have been secured. There will be before the aeridheacht a Middle League contest between Martry and Kilbeg and afterwards a “friendly” between Kilbeg and Oldcastle. The latter teams have met twice at Navan in last year’s Middle League competition, the first encounter resulted in a draw. On the second occasion Oldcastle came out victorious. The Kilbeg fifteen hold that they were rather unlucky in the games at Navan and they and their followers are looking forward to a more prosperous venture on the day of the Carnival. It should he added that there will be also a sack race, for which valuable prizes will be given.
APRIL 17th 1915
Kilbeg got away and Hand, from the left wing, tried for a score, but the ball was well stopped by Tully. Oldcastle got up per P. Tuite and the Kilbeg backs were put to a fairly stiff test to which they proved equal. Barry, in the centre, drove down and Hand picking up smartly sent it to the eye of the goal. E. Tuite drove back to the centre, and the Oldcastle forwards again got to work. The defence was good and Kilbeg returned to the attack and narrowly missed a score. Kilbeg kept up the pressure, and off a free close in, should have scored, but the kick was badly taken. Hand again centred well, but Oldcastle cleared and rushing up the field hotly besieged the Kilbeg stronghold where a nice shot by Duffy was well stopped by the goalman. Kilbeg cleared and some vigorous centre play followed, Barry, Smith and Hand for Kilbeg and Tuite and Callan for Oldcastle, showing up well. A free for handling against Kilbeg, within scoring range was sent a little wide. There was no score at half time.
Oldcastle opened the attack on resuming but the defence was sound. There was a spell of up and down play by both sides, giving a fine exhibition of fielding and long punting. Kilbeg rushed up and got a free close in but failed to turn it to account. Kilbeg kept up the attack, and Oldcastle conceded a “50.” Barry took the kick and delivered well, but E. Tuite cleared. After some centre play P. Tuite got well down on the left, but the effort went for nought, the Oldcastle forwards being badly placed, Oldcastle now kept up a persistent attack but repeatedly sent wide, and the game ended in a scoreless draw.
Mr. Newman refereed.
The teams were:
Oldcastle: M. Gibney (goal), T. Callan. K. Tuite. F. Tully. J. Kiernan, G. Chatten, J. Kiernan. M. Myles; P . Kearney. J. Gillic, P. Tuite , J. Duffy, W.Tuite, P. Callan, J. Dermody.
Kilbeg: L, Kearney (goal). H. Brien, B. Lynch, T. Gibney, Jack Norris, J. Mack, P. Fitzsimons, J. Reilly, J. Barry, T. Reilly, J. Geraghty, B. Hand, C. Brien, J. Smith, M. Quinn.
APRIL 11th 1914
Two rather interesting football events are on the card for decision tomorrow at Carlanstown, where the Kilbeg Club are running off their annual tournament. The first is a Senior League tie between the Kells Stars and the Carnaross St. Kierans. About a year ago those teams met on the same venue, when St. Kierans achieved a sensational victory over the Stars. A few weeks afterwards on Loyd Racecourse they defeated the Navan Harps in hollow style. As Middle League Champions of Meath they gained two meritorious triumphs at Jones’s Road, defeating Westmeath and Louth. In the Leinster final however, they fared badly, Carlow beating them by a big score. Another reverse befell them some time afterwards when they met Bohermeen in the final of the Meath Senior Championship. The holders won easily, Carnaross failing to raise a flag during the hour. Although, like many another team, they failed to maintain the brilliant form they showed in the early stages of the Senior Championship, their record is more than creditable, and there is no reason why they should not make a bold show in this years contests. The Stars have been training and if reports speak truly, they will be seen tomorrow in their best form. Should this prove true, it is quite likely they will reverse the decision of a year ago. But as they did before Carnaross may come out in irresistible style and sweep the decks. Let us hope at any rate that both will appear in perfect trim, and may the better team win.
The next game will be a friendly between Bohermeen and Ardee. This should prove interesting, A year ago the Ardonion’s beat the Navan Harps rather easily. Should Bohermeen win it will be plain. Various reports to the contrary notwithstanding that they are still a force to be reckoned with on the field of Gaelic football—in Meath at any rate. The Oristown Pipers Band will attend.
APRIL 10th 1909
The third annual Gaelic Carnival, under the auspices of the Kilbeg Volunteers Football Club, comes off on to-morrow (Easter Sunday), in a field nicely situated, adjacent to the village of Carlanstown, and kindly placed at the disposal of the organisers by Mr. Patrick Kelly. This popular annual event attracts immense crowds, and we feel certain that, given fine weather, it will on this occasion exceed all former ones in this respect, as the energetic Committee in charge beaded by that indefatigable worker, Mr. Thomas B. Lynch, R.D.C, are sparing neither time nor expense to score a record. The proceedings will open at 1.30, when the leading Gaelic singers, dancers and musicians from Kells, Castletown, Kingscourt, Moynalty and other places will take part in an open air concert. At 2.30 a noted Dublin Football team will try issue with one selected from Meath seniors, while North Meath selected will be pitted against South selected in the junior grade. An attractive item on the day’s programme will be the performance of the well-known Bailieboro National Brass Band, who, under the baton of their genial conductor. Mr. Philip J. Carroll, will render a splendid selection of Irish music.

FEBRUARY 29th 1908
The Kilbeg Volunteers will hold their second annual carnival under the patronage of Rev. James Clavin P. P., on Sunday 5th April. The Volunteers will play a practice match in Oristown tomorrow (Sunday) with the local club and all members are requested to be in attendance on the field at 2.30 o’clock.
JUNE 6th 1908.
The annual meeting of the Kilbeg Volunteers Football Club will be held to-morrow at the Moat of Kilbeg at 4 o’clock. All members are requested to attend and hand in their subscriptions. —T. B. Lynch, Secretary.