Friday February 7th 2020
Corn na Boinne, Group C, Round 3

Full time: St. Michaels 1-08, Trim 1-04.
Half time: St. Michaels 0-03, Trim 1-03.

St. Michaels continued on their winning start to the season with a four point victory over Trim in this third round of the Corn na Boinne Cup in Carlanstown on Friday night last.
Trim had first use of the very strong wind blowing towards the scoreboard end and they soon opened up a two point lead after only four minutes play. Shane McDonnell opened the home sides account with a point from play on 7 minutes which was immediately cancelled out by the Trim side. The visitors then went 5 points to the good when they found the back of the net after their initial attempt was well blocked by Shane McCormack between the St. Michaels posts at the end of the opening quarter.

Man of the match Oran Meehan raised his first white flag soon after and Ronan Lynch also got in on the act with a peach of a point from play after receiving from the hard working Sam Briody.
That completed the first half scoring for the home side who were making minimal progress into the strong wind. The fact that Trim failed to score in the second quarter with the backing of the wind was surely a huge source of disappointment for their mentors as they went in at the break leading by 1-03 to 0-03.

Shane McDonnell opened the second half with a converted free following a foul on the lively Ray Reilly. Shane McCormack pulled off another magnificent save with his lower body a couple of minutes later to deny Trim a five point advantage and although the visitors had plenty of opportunities to score they sent them wide of the target and their only score of the half came from a free in the fourth minute of injury time.

But credit must go to the St. Michaels defence who battened down the hatches keeping their composure for the entire second half making life difficult for their opponents and the discipline they showed in defence was vital as it would have been easy in the conditions to give away scoreable frees with lazy tackles.

The remainder of the half was all about Oran Meehan, Trim switched his marker on several occasions and his team mates badly needed his expertise in front of the posts and boy did he answer their call, two points in as many minutes off his left peg had the teams on level terms. Ten minutes slipped by before he split the posts to put his side in front for the first time in the match. Then came the game changer when he collected the ball 30m out, went on a solo run towards goal, took aim and fired from 10m, his shot skimming the ground as it headed to the back of the Trim net for a 1-7 to 1-3 lead.

To cap a fine nights work Meehan split the posts with a fine effort from play to the cheers of the local patrons who braved the elements to support their team.

Trim, who gave it their all and who battled the elements and a resurgent St. Michaels side finally got their only score of the second period from a free in the 64th minute.

St. Michaels team & scorers:
Shane McCormack; Ciaran O’Reilly, Mark Stafford, Alan Reilly; Christopher Drew, Ronan Lynch (0-1), Sam Briody; Cian Sheridan, Paddy Clarke; Ray Reilly, Shane McDonnell (0-2), Ben Reilly; Patrick Tobin, Oran Meehan (1-5), Justin McPhillips. 

Subs: Harry Dunne for B. Reilly 21 minutes, Lee Morris for Tobin 38 minutes, Brian Reilly for McPhillips 49 minutes.
Referee: Peter O’Halloran.
Report by: Pascal Reilly PRO.



Rath / Slane


Wednesday February 12th 2020
MFL, Division 4a, round 1. 

Full time: St. Michaels / Nobber 5-10, Rathkenny / Slane 3-10.
Half time: St. Michaels / Nobber 4-06, Rathkenny / Slane 1-04.

St. Michaels / Nobber had to withstand a tremendous fightback from the Rathkenny / Slane combination in the second half of this cracking first round match in Carlanstown on Wednesday night last. But it was the home side who eventually came good with Lorcan McEntee excelling and getting the crucial scores in the second half.

The home side held a massive 11 point half time lead having played into the teeth of a strong wind thanks to the accuracy of Lorcan McEntee (2-0), Jack Moriarty (1-1), Jo Jo Ogunube (1-1), Ben Forte (0-2) and Cian McFadden (0-2) and they went in for the half time team talk sitting on a 4-6 to 1-4 scoreline.

The wind got stronger and the rain lashed down on the Carlanstown pitch but that didn’t affect the Rathkenny / Slane lads who came out with a completely different attitude in the second half and they had whittled away the St. Michaels / Nobber lead to six points by the tenth minute of the new half. McEntee pulled one back on 40 minutes however the visitors were in control in all areas of the pitch and pulled the deficit back to a single point with eight minutes remaining on the stop watch.

St. Michaels / Nobber had now gone 15 minutes without raising a flag and it wasn’t until the 54th minute when McEntee stopped the rot and came to their rescue with three unanswered points in as many minutes. His midfield partner Jakub Bidinski was doing excellent work all over the park and it was a fitting reward for his endeavour’s when he blasted to the back of the net on the stroke of full time to put the game beyond doubt.
The visitors posted the final score of the match from a free two minutes into injury time.
Along with the scorers others who showed up well were Aaron Gaffney, Colin Condra, Paddy Fitzsimons, Jamie Murray, Scott Farrell, Brian O’Reilly, Eoghan Finnegan and Declan Reilly.

St. Michaels / Nobber team and scorers:
Aaron Gaffney; Colin Condra, Paddy Fitzsimons, Jamie Murray; Scott Farrell, Brian O’Reilly, Eoghan Finnegan; Jakub Bidinski (1-0); Lorcan McEntee (2-4); Declan Reilly, Cian McFadden (0-2), Conor Owens; Jack Moriarty (1-1), Jo Jo
Ogunube (1-1), Ben Forte (0-2).

Referee: Stephen Dawson
Report & photos by: Pascal Reilly.





Friday January 31st 2020
Corn na Boinne, Group C, Round 2

Full time: St. Michaels 1-11, Drumbaragh 0-07.
Half time: St. Michaels 0-04, Drumbaragh 0-03.

St. Michaels recovered from a slow opening half to savour success at the expense of Drumbaragh in this Corn na Boinne second round match in Carlanstown on Friday night last. The better balanced Carlanstown Kilbeg side got the job done with seven points to spare while taking advantage of the strong cross wind in the second half. Although a seven point margin might look comfortable, it was far from plain sailing for the red and blacks and the Drumbaragh lads will rue some costly misses over the course of the hour.

St. Michaels made the perfect start with a pointed free from Ciaran Lynch after 90 seconds but they failed to raise another flag until the 23rd minute when Shane McCormack left his goalkeeping position to go up-field and convert a free. Drumbaragh popped two over the crossbar, one from a free in the opening 7 minutes but they could only manage one more first half score in the 27th minute. Ciaran Lynch sent over two points from frees in injury time for a 0-4 to 0-3 interval lead for the home side.

Shane McDonnell posted the opening point of the second half when he received a perfect pass from Oran Meehan two minutes after the restart. McCormack picked up another point from a dead ball before a swift attacking move culminated in McDonnell collecting possession and his superb finish to the bottom of the net warmed the hearts of the St. Michaels faithful who braved the chilly night to be in attendance.

Drumbaragh were left shell shocked but they gradually restored some order in the shape of a couple of points, one from a free, however St. Michaels were now displaying greater fluidity in their attacking forays and this resulted in points from Ciaran Lynch (2) and Ray Reilly (1). David Lynch and Oran Meehan were a lively presence throughout as they popped up all over the pitch.

McDonnell finished off another great move up-field from McCormack’s kick-out in the 56th minute and Ray Reilly had the final say when he split the posts with the last score of the match in the second minute of added time.

St. Michaels will now host Trim in the final group match on Friday night next at 8pm.


St. Michaels team & scorers:
Shane McCormack (0-2) ; Christopher Drew, Mark Stafford, Alan Reilly; Brian Reilly, Ronan Lynch, Ben Reilly; Cian Sheridan, Paddy Clarke; Ray Reilly (0-2), Oran Meehan, David Lynch; Patrick Tobin, Shane McDonnell (1-2), Ciaran Lynch (0-5).

Subs: Ciaran O’Reilly for A. Reilly, Lee Morris for P. Tobin, Harry Dunne for C. Drew, J. McPhillips for B. Reilly, Rory O’Driscoll for C. Lynch.

Referee: Kieran Olwell.
Report by: Pascal Reilly PRO.

St. Michaels GFC would like to offer their condolences to the McGivern family on the sad passing of Nancy, especially to her daughter Susan Meehan ( ladies chairperson ), and her grandchildren and current players Oran & Brioch Meehan, Lee Morris, Jack and Matt Moriarty.
Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.


St. Pauls

Sunday January 26th 2020

Ladies Challenge match

Full time: St. Michaels 10-16, St. Pauls / Delvin 2-1,
Half time: St. Michaels 4-04, St. Pauls / Delvin 1-01

Team manager Dary Hutchinson got a good run out for his team in sunny Clonmellon on Sunday afternoon and gave his entire panel plenty of match time.

St. Pauls / Delvin are a young up and coming junior side who had some exceptional players in action and were only 1-1 to 4-4 adrift of their senior opponents at the end of the opening 30 minutes. Both sides struggled to get back into the heat of the action after the long winter break and found their radar’s were a wee bit off kilter as they made hard work of finding the target to shoot points in the early stages, however as the rustiness wore off Sally Keogan bagged a brace of goals, Emma Carolan and Brioch Meehan followed up with 1-1 apiece while club debutant Roisin Nulty posted two minors.

Six changes were made by Dary and his selector Anna Hughes to the St. Michaels team during the interval which meant things would not be getting any better for the home side. Megan O’Brien’s first touch earned her a penalty which she tapped over the bar. The pattern continued with St. Michaels parking their bus in the St. Pauls / Delvin half of the pitch. Mary Clinton, Brioch Meehan, Roisin Nulty, Yvonne Farrelly, Erin & Seona Lynch all found the back of the net in what was a one sided second half.

Based on yesterdays performance, competition will be fierce for starting positions on this team when the league commences, no doubt more challenge games lie ahead.

St. Michaels ladies hereby thank the St. Pauls / Delvin club for accommodating their request for this challenge match and the warm welcome they received on arrival at their fine facilities in Clonmellon.

Team & scorers:
Sarah Bradley: Nadine Dunne, Áine Sheridan, Laura Halpin; Emma McDonnell, Mary Clinton (2-1), Mary Carpenter (0-1); Claire Halpin, Erin Lynch (1-0); Emma Carolan (1-1), Seona Lynch (1-7), Sally Keogan (2-0); Brioch Meehan (1-1), Roisin Nulty (1-2), Yvonne Farrelly (1-0). .
Subs: Katelyn Russell for Y. Farrelly, Lorraine Curtis for C. Halpin, Megan O’Brien (0-3) for M. Carpenter, Kate Sheridan for N. Dunne, Nicola Dowdall for L. Halpin, Sheena O’Donnell for E. Carolan.

Referee: Jonathan Carpenter
Report by Pascal Reilly PRO.



Friday January 24th 2020
Corn na Boinne, Round 1

Full time: St. Michaels 0-16, Rathkenny 1-09.
Half time: St. Michaels 0-04, Rathkenny 0-04.

St. Michaels eventually got their mojo back on Friday night last as they recorded their first victory in any competition since April 2019 as they deservedly collected both points in this victory over Rathkenny and they did so with plenty of positives to be taken from this outing.

Probably the biggest plus was the form of Davy Lynch on his return from injury as the hard working half forward proved a constant thorn in the Rathkenny side for the entire match.

Both sides spent the opening half trying to shake off the winter cobwebs and it wasn’t pretty to watch, with lots of missed opportunities going a begging at both ends and a 0-4 apiece scoreline at half time was a true reflection of the quality of play on offer. The St. Michaels scores came from Ciaran Lynch (2 frees) and a point apiece from play from Oran Meehan and Paddy Tobin .

The half time team talks worked as the second half was a complete turnaround, Rathkenny took the lead with two points in the opening three minutes however 2 minors from Davy Lynch and another from Meehan put the home side into the lead, Rathkenny pulled one back from a free to level the match for the fourth time on 43 minutes. St. Michaels won their own kick-out and within 30 seconds were back in front when Ciaran Lynch split the posts at the opposite end.
That score was the turning point for the home side as they began to play with more confidence and began to weave some nice patterns in the final third with substitute Lee Morris, Oran Meehan and the two Lynch brothers all tagging on points and they could easily have had a few more added by the final whistle. Rathkenny added another point in normal time and a pointed free and a well struck goal in the third and fifth minutes of injury time.

St. Michaels team & scorers:

Shane McCormack; Ciaran O’Reilly, Mark Stafford, Ben Reilly; Paddy Clarke, Christopher Drew, Brian Reilly; Cian Sheridan, Sam Briody; Ray Reilly, Ciaran Lynch (0-6), David Lynch (0-3); Patrick Tobin (0-2), Oran Meehan (0-2), Shane McDonnell (0-1).

Subs: Alan Reilly for C. O’Reilly, Lee Morris (0-2) for B. Reilly, Ronan Lynch for M. Stafford, Jack Dunne for R. Reilly.

Referee: Larry McEntee
Report by: Pascal Reilly PRO.

Dunboyne B


Sunday Nov. 10th 2019
Girls U-13 FL Division 6 Cup Final. 1 ( 12 a side )

Full time: St. Michaels 3-09, Dunboyne B 4-06,
Half time: St. Michaels 3-06, Dunboyne B 1-03.

There was disappointment etched on the faces of the young girls of St. Michaels and Dunboyne B after this final on Sunday morning as neither team were bringing home the cup after a thrilling match as they will have to do it all over again on another day following Mia Griffin’s levelling point in the dying minutes of this division 6 cup final on Dunganny’s Astro pitch. The tight schedule of games on U-13’s Final Day meant there was no time for extra time to be played.

It was gripping stuff throughout as two well matched teams produced an absorbing battle with St. Michaels dominating the opening half and Dunboyne doing likewise in the second. The St. Michaels girls were 3-6 to 1-3 to the good at half time following goals from Edel Reilly (2) and Mia Griffin (1). Anne Behan and Aoife Bennett sent over some fine points while Dunboyne replied with their opening goal on 24 minutes having posted three earlier points.

Dunboyne turned in a great second half recovery and although Ciara Bennett got the opening point of the second half after six minutes, her side didn’t score again until she herself ended the drought in the 20th minute by which stage Dunboyne were just two points adrift 3-6 to 3-8. Then a high ball into the St. Michaels square went loose and was toe poked to the back of the net for the Dunboyne lead. To their credit the St. Michaels girls didn’t panic and in a dramatic final couple of minutes they won their own kick-out and some good work around the middle third by Griffin and Bennett resulted in a free which Mia Griffin sent between the posts for the levelling point much to the delight of their management and the travelling supporters.
This was a great team effort from these young St. Michaels girls and we wish them the very best of luck in the replay.

St. Michaels team & scorers:
Caitlin McGillick; Ellie Jackson, Jane Mulligan; Orla O’Loughlin, Ciara Bennett (0-2), Lilly Kangley; Mia Griffin (1-3), Aoife Bennett (0-2); Ciara Finnegan, Anne Behan (0-1), Sophie Rogan; Edel Reilly (2-1). 

Subs: H. Keoghan for O’Loughlin, Kate McKenna for Anne Behan.
Report: Pascal Reilly PRO



Sunday Nov. 24th 2019
Girls U-13 FL Division 6 Cup Final replay ( 12 a side )

Full time: St. Michaels 4-05, Dunboyne B 3-04,
Half time: St. Michaels 2-01, Dunboyne B 2-01.

St. Michaels collected the division 6 cup at the second time of asking in a hugely exciting contest in Dunganny on Sunday afternoon. They needed a replay and all the guts and heart that they could muster as the fought off an unrelenting Dunboyne challenge in what was an end to end classic, but there’s no denying that they were the deserving victors. 

After a quality opening half, there was nothing between the sides with the score at 2-1 apiece at the break. Dunboyne were first out of the stalls with a goal after only 30 seconds, not to be out done Anne Behan raised the first of her three green flags a minute later and she followed up with her second a short time later. Dunboyne drew level on twelve minutes and scores became a rarity for the remainder of the half with Edel Reilly splitting the posts for St. Michaels and the Dunboyne girls levelling the match for the second time after 21 minutes.

The St. Michaels girls turned the game on it’s head in the second half and although Dunboyne took an early one point lead, the eventual winners became more territorially dominant especially through the hard work put in around the middle third by Mia Griffin, Aoife Bennett and Sophie Rogan who were all in excellent form throughout this final. Anne Behan wasn’t to be denied her hat-trick as she blasted to the net five minutes into the new half, her cousin Edel Reilly also added her second major for a four point advantage. Dunboyne pulled one back but Griffin split the posts to stretch the lead to five points. Once again Dunboyne replied with a point but a minor apiece from Bennett and substitute Kate McKenna momentarily steadied the St. Michaels ship.

Dunboyne kept plugging away and a goal bound shot was initially well saved by Caitlin McGillick in the St. Michaels goals however the rebound was blasted to the net after a scramble for possession in the square with only five minutes of normal time remaining to leave just three points the difference. As those final few minutes slowly ticked away the supporters nerves were settled when Aoife Bennett hit the insurance point three minutes into added time for a well deserved victory.
This final lacked for nothing and credit must go to the entire St. Michaels team and management, the players moved the ball at pace, kicking some excellent scores while one had to admire the defensive skills displayed particularly through an enthralling second 25 minutes by Ellie Jackson, Jane Mulligan, Lilly Kangley, Ciara Bennett, Ciara Finnegan and Orla O’Loughlin, and I must not forget substitute Tigan McCabe who fought like a terrier for every ball that came her way.

St. Michaels team & scorers:

Caitlin McGillick; Ellie Jackson, Jane Mulligan; Lilly Kangley, Ciara Bennett (0-2), Ciara Finnegan; Mia Griffin (0-1), Aoife Bennett (0-2); Orla O’Loughlin, Anne Behan (3-0), Sophie Rogan; Edel Reilly (1-1).
Subs: Kate McKenna (0-1) for O’Loughlin, Tigan McCabe for Kangley.

Report: Pascal Reilly PRO